What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new builder

RV8Whit

I'm New Here
Hi everyone.

I am whit and I am 15 yrs old and I plan on buying building and owning my own Rv 8 one day. I would just like to know what it is like to build and fly one of the awesome machines. I have previously flown in an RV 6a with a friend and Im hooked.

Thanks everyone
Whit

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Whit, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

Great to see another person your age getting involved, keep at it and you will be flying your own plane sooner than you realize.

Yes, you can start building is a two car garage, and if you kick the cars out, you can build the entire plane in there.

You can actually build the whole plane in one side of the garage, by doing a bit of planning and storage of finished sub assemblies.

Hardest part will be when the fuse is on the gear, and engine hung. It gets heavy, and long then, and walk around room becomes an issue.

Good luck, carry on.

Welcome

Welcome Whit,

Seems like the least your parents could do is buy you a empennage and tool kit and get their cars out of the garage. Tell them we said so :)

If you aren't ready to start such a large project at the present time there are some other really great ways to get involved in aviation, including RC modeling. Check out the Academy of Model Aeronautics and your local RC clubs. Modeling is a great way to learn basic aeronautics.

Best of luck.

Thanks DaAV8R.

My dad and I already fly rc airplanes.

We have over 20 and are steadily building more.

I need to sell some so I can have some sort of way to

start saving up for at least an empennage kit.

Thanks DaAV8R.

Priceless, just priceless! Welcome Whit, to VAF. We need more people like YOU.

Common Backgrounds, Common Dreams......

Thanks DaAV8R.

Whit, while I will confess I am a far sight older than you are now, just wanted to share with you that I too have an extensive upbringing on RC modeling, and we share the same dream of building and flying the RV-8, which is currently "in progress" for me. If you have built RC birds from kits with parts, and not so much the ready-to-fly kits that seem to dominate the market today, you already possess much of the knowledge, and many of the skills that are needed to build a larger metal bird.

The build concepts and order of assembly are largely the same as those used to build RC airplanes, only the materials and the tools are different. I have drawn on my past RC experience many times throughout the build process for the RV-8, which has come in very handy at times.

Vans has a couple of small project practice kits you can order, but you will also need some of the riveting tools to put it together. I started my project with the toolbox kit, and also took the SportAir sheet metal class offered by EAA when it came to town, and the RV-8 empennage kit followed soon thereafter.

You can check out EAAs website for the SportAir workshop schedule and location, and I would strongly recommend you and your dad (and even mom too if she is willing) take that class. You will get a major introduction into what it takes to build a metal airplane by completing a small airfoil and control surface project over the course of one weekend. The materials and tools are all provided for you, and it does not cost very much to sign up, so it is a great learning experience.

I see some flight lessons and some riveting tools, and maybe even an RV-8 empennage kit in your future!

Last edited:
Its great to see young people interested in aviation. I grew up with RC planes and started working as a line boy/flying full scale around your age. I started my -3B at 21 and finished last year. The one thing I learned as a kid when I was pumping gas at the airport was that all pilots, builders, and plane owners have one thing in common - lots of disposable income. In other words, they are good at whatever it is that they do for a living. Make sure you dont shortcut your education these next 6 or so years because building is addictive!

Last edited:
Whit, one more thing that has not yet been mentioned, is to check for a local EAA chapter in your area.

That would be a good way to get your feet wet in homebuilding is there is one available.

Thanks all

Im going to need to clean the garage before any ordering is done.

Those of you that have finished or are still building would post any pictures so I can get an idea of what I'm getting into.

Thanks

Welcome Whit.

You have all the room you need to build any RV except the 4-place 10..maybe even the -10.

Take a look at where I started my Cassutt Formula One racer, many years ago. My wife understood and a bedroom became the living room and the living room became the airplane factory...wing anyway:

BuildingCassutt.jpg

Cutting back on some of your RC building and saving that money for a tailkit is very practical too:)

Check out the Elvis sideburns and striped pants of the early '70's....:)

Best,

Thanks all

Those of you that have finished or are still building would post any pictures so I can get an idea of what I'm getting into.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Whit. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and your parents have taught you well. Take a look at my website if you would like to see LOTS of detailed pictures from my build. That will give you an idea of what it was like to take on a project such as an RV. Someone else posted that you will need LOTS of disposable income to complete your project. That is true, but it doesn't mean you need to have it all at once. Even with a limited income, if budgeted wisely, you can achieve your dream over time. It took me 6 years to build my Super-7, and I know several builders out there working on their projects for 10 years or more but are almost finished and ready to fly. The important thing is, every day you need to ask yourself... "What have I done today that will get me closer to my goal?" If you can answer that question honestly, every day, you will no doubt achieve your goals sooner than later, whatever your goals may be.

Congratulations on taking the 1st step to learning a very rewarding hobby by joining this forum. The link to my builder's website is listed below. Enjoy!

Whit,

I highly suggest you get the books by Tony Bingelis. They are dated a bit, but contain a ton of help suggestions and tutorials that will help make the building process easier to understand. Plus, it will provide many hours of enjoyable reading.

Building a plane is an awesome experience but, like most things that might appear glamourous to the outside, it is a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Literally. And the construction gets tedious and boring (you get sick of rivets after the first thousand, especially knowing you have thousands more to go), and it costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time. But as the major assemblies come together and you see an airplane forming, it becomes worth it.

I was 10 - way back in 1965 when the Fly Baby and T-18 were big - when I first started to dream about building an airplane, and 47 years later that dream is just a few weeks from being realized with a first fligth. I hope it doesn't take you anywhere near that long!

Welcome Whit! Alot of great advise on VAF. Many repeat offenders, and some of use that are getting in the process. There are many builders albums on here to guide you, and many more builders that will offer help, many in your area. Seek them out.
Tom

One of Vans' practice kits would be a good way to get your feet wet! I built both before taking the plunge!

Pics, Tips, and more....

Thanks all

Thanks

Whit, as a few others have already indicated, many of the builders maintain their own website or builders logs that contain pics and other information about their progress. Many of them begin about the same way, which is usually getting a shop or a building area ready for the task.

If you check the signature lines on the bottom of many of the responses from individuals that have replied to your posts, you will see that many of them have web links to their own personal builder sites, myself included. Just click on those links and you can see each builder's progress and view whatever pics they have included.

Here on VAF there are other also other threads that begin with the phrase "Show us a picture of your......" These range from completed projects, status of current project, instrument panels and avionics, etc.

Happy hunting...

Last edited:
As someone said in a post they built the practice kit. What do you build. And how much do they cost.

Also does anyone know what a empennage kit cost for an rv-8 so I know how much to start saving up for?

Thanks

As someone said in a post they built the practice kit. What do you build. And how much do they cost.

Also does anyone know what a empennage kit cost for an rv-8 so I know how much to start saving up for?

Thanks

Practice kits are available from Van's for $35 + shipping: http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?&browse=misc&product=training-project

I think someone before mentioned the EAA Sportair workshops. I did the sheetmetal workshop last fall and found it to be worth every penny. I'd never touched a rivet gun before in my life. Here's my full recollection of the workshop: http://rv.squawk1200.net/2011/12/28/learning-to-build-with-eaa-sportair/

Current price on an RV-8 emp kit is $1645. If you want electric trim, that's another $325. I know this number well, because I just filled out the order form for my -8 tail this morning. Time for the first of several bites out of the bank account!

You can see all the kit prices on the Van's order form: http://vansaircraft.com/pdf/order_forms/rv-88a_order_form.pdf

Last edited:
Other Kids Your Age

Whit,

Its cool to see other kids like myself that have the RV bug. I am 19 now but I got started working on an RV-12 when I was 15 through the TeenFlight program. Now I am helping mentor the second group and helping a local builder with his RV-9a on the weekends. If you look at the blog you will see that I have been fortunate enough to work with some pretty interesting people. I know there are efforts in place to try and get the concept of TeenFlight out there and there are a few other groups that have picked up on it. I know of a group in Indiana that calls themselves Eagles Nest that is also working on an RV-12 through their school, and I believe there is another group somewhere else. It would be cool to see even more groups like this start up. Basically, the program has a group of teenage kids building an airplane with the guidance of mentors. Obviously no one person owns it, but we all have access to it to fly it when we wish as long as the pilots are available.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I think if you were able to talk to the right people and if you got enough youth interested you could have a similar program in your neck of the woods.

Back