What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

work day

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
As president of the Cabin Creek Landing homeowners association, there is some things that need attention. Some of it is unpleasant, like filing a lien or small claims court action. I've been putting it off, since I live 250miles away(4.5hrs drive). But today the weather gods aligned with the day off calendar.

8am: I got to the airport(8u8), fueled up(note to self: afternoon fueling is warmer than morning). A quick phone call to the Airpark to check conditions, FOGGED in!

oh well 2hrs of coffee with the airport bums. Finally the field was clear at 97MT. so Townsend(8u8) to St. Ignatius(52S) to Cabin Creek(97MT) is normally about about 1:05 in route. Today I climbed to 9500 to reach the smooth, albeit 30kt headwind, above the peaks so it took a bit longer arriving about 1130.
the Mission Range was wonderful in the mid-morning light.
phonedumpOct2011072.jpg

A lot of the valleys were still socked in, but kinda special from above.

phonedumpOct2011081.jpg

phonedumpOct2011064.jpg

25 miles out, The fog was gone and I started my descent into Cabin Creek. I swung wide out over Bitteroot Lake to take in the beauty.

phonedumpOct2011083.jpg

work all done and seatbelts on around 1500. It was still reasonably cool out, so 115kts, 1800fpm I zoomed right to 11500 and pointed Aurora back to the barn.
As I rounded the dogleg at 52S(keeps me off the big rocks/wilderness), I can see the southern valleys around Missoula still looked foggy or at least heavy haze.
phonedumpOct2011086.jpg

off my left wing past the Mission range is the Seeley/Swan drainage then the Bob Marshall wilderness.
phonedumpOct2011093.jpg

Oh and the trip home..... 173nm in 48 minutes.

It was a dirty job, but someones got to do it! Keep pounding those rivets

Last edited:
Those are great pictures of some of God's most beautiful country! Flying over the Rockies will give anyone a true sense of AWE.

Back