What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall warning volume increasing

seagull

Well Known Member
When I bought my -12 the stall warning in the headset was so loud it would scare my passengers. I assumed the previous owner liked it that way. I re-adjusted the volume pot about 30 hours ago. I adjusted it low enough that I could hear the AOA at about the same volume. It is now quite loud again, the AOA is barely audible in the background. I have to assume vibration is turning the pot.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Are there any suggestions to ?fix? the pot after setting it?

You could try setting the pot where you want it, then running a strip of fingernail polish or torque seal from the shaft up onto the threads. That may hold it from vibration, but if you ever change the setting you?ll break the seal. A permanent fix is to measure the resistance (two values) of the setting you like and replace the pot with two fixed value resistors.

Update;

I removed the top cover to access the back of the instrument panel (53 screws, ugh). Then unmounted the AV-50000a box from the bottom so I could access the "stall" pot.

While I had the cover off I realized that if I was to remove the Skyview Touch display (6 screws) it would give me direct access to the pot. To get the display to move out from the panel 1" it was necessary to provide a little slack in the wire harness going to the back of the display. I removed the zip ties the original builder used and replaced them about an inch further back on the harness grouping.

I was wondering how tight wires need to be pulled to prevent vibration from causing long term problems.

Last edited:
Back