What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painter Recommendations

RV7ator

Well Known Member
Any recommendations regarding aircraft painters west of the Rockies, excluding California? Just finding out if they exist is exasperating.

John Siebold

Straube's

Mine is in paint now at KOGD. Straubes Paint service. They have been great (so far) to deal with. I will send out a post once I get it back. I saw some finished airplanes that have come out of their shop looking great. Mid May is my expected release time.

I recommend Dan Mauer for painting your RV. He is based in Red Bluff, CA, but he travels to your location to paint the airplane as well. By now he has probably painted 50 RV's, and he has been painting GA airplanes for 30 years.

If your airplane is flying you can bring it to him, or if you want it painted before final assembly he can do it at your location if a suitable spot can be found ( often a hangar at a private airport with a temporary visqueen "paint booth" installed.

Check his references, the quality is excellent and the price is reasonable.

For the record, Dan and I are friends, but I have paid him to paint 2 airplanes so far.

Contact him at:

<[email protected]>

530-527-1970

Williams

My RV7A is currently at Williams Aircraft Paint in Burns, Oregon. (KBNO) Their website is http://www.williamsaircraftpainting.com/ . I talked with a couple other RV owners that had their planes painted there and all were happy with the outcome. Matt has been great to work with so far. Mine should be done about May 11. When I delivered my RV, I saw two other planes they had painted and they looked great.

I just called Williams, and was told they are no longer going to be painting aircraft------poor economy forced the decision.

Hmmm. . .. I talked to Bobby Potts of Tuscaloosa Interiors. He said it was the RV world that kept food on his table during the economy down turn.

I happen to know a guy in Montana. Corky of Roberts Auto body in Townsend, has painted 18 airplanes. He's thinking of doing aircraft only.

I may be a little biased, but think he does a excellent job.
PA200539.jpg

RV-7build1134.jpg

Roger Evensen on this list is having his done in Wickenberg, AZ as we speak, might want to check with him in a couple of weeks, he did some checking around and took his -7 there.

We are very fortunate to have Animas Aero Designs at Animas Air Park in Durango, CO (Zero Zero Charlie). Dwight Tulfer not only does a superb job painting, but his preparation work on fiberglass is outstanding.

Give him a call at 970-759-1844. You will be happy you did!

Jim

I recommend Dan Mauer for painting your RV. He is based in Red Bluff, CA, but he travels to your location to paint the airplane as well. By now he has probably painted 50 RV's, and he has been painting GA airplanes for 30 years.

Me too. Dan and Linda brought their 5th wheel trailer up to 2S6 Newberg OR, visquined off the entire 50x50 hangar including the floor and my friend's 1929 Waco, and in two weeks I had a real purdy paint job. Totally satisfied and I too consider them friends.

Back