Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryL View Post
I have the Silent Hektik regulator mounted below the avionics shelf and itís been fine for 60 hours since installation. I changed from the Ducati prior to any failure just as a precaution. I do run with all lighting on at all times and have a dual G3X touch, autopilot, GDL50R ADS-B IN, GPS20A and an iPad running from the Aux socket so close to maximum electrical load. The SH regulator hardly gets more than warm to the touch - definitely not hot.
Thanks Harry, very good info. With that in mind, I would assume the new B&C VR would be OK to mount inside as well. Do you remember if there were any wiring changes, or was the SH a plug-n-play swap with the Ducati? Thanks, Paul
Old 02-17-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstraub View Post
Thanks Harry, very good info. With that in mind, I would assume the new B&C VR would be OK to mount inside as well. Do you remember if there were any wiring changes, or was the SH a plug-n-play swap with the Ducati? Thanks, Paul
The SH accepts the Ducati connector. I had to add an additional ground wire from the SH regulator to a good local earth point - in my case I have a ground wire from the battery to the firewall so put the regulator onto the cockpit side of the same point.
One issue was bolt hole size/alignment - I had to open up the holes in the SH regulator on the drill press and used socket-head screws to fix it so it picks up the existing Vans anchor nuts on the avionics shelf.
I used the F4122 5-step regulator which SH recommend for the 912 when used with a Lithium battery, as I intend to fit the EarthX battery to save weight and move the C of G aft. Unfortunately the EarthX won't go directly into the Odyssey battery box in a 912 ULS aircraft as it's about 1/8" deeper so will require a bit of extra metalwork.
Vans specified the F4120 regulator instead in KAI 49-19 Rev 2 (Notification 18-04-00). Vans also has you link the C terminal directly to the BATT + terminal on the regulator but I didn't do this as otherwise you take away the ability to control the alternator. I don't have the standard Vans control module with fuses so have a dedicated 1A alternator control circuit breaker in the 'C' wire as well as the 20A output circuit breaker.
http://harrysrv.blogspot.co.uk
Old 02-18-2021, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstraub View Post
....has anyone installed the Silent Hektik or the new B&C VR inside the cabin?
Yes I have installed the SH in the cabin as per KAI. I proactively replaced the Ducati VR just shy of 8h TTAF knowing that it will fail sooner or later.
To reduce temperature I installed a PC fan which turns On with the master switch.
No problems so far, but only seeing 14.1V during cruise, which might be a bit low for charching the PC680 battery.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VeeJoo6eNeESUXmE8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AwRc2F7vriGaobxA9

If (one day) I should upgrade to the B&C regulator, I would possibly install it at the same location

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/magic.carpet.aviation
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLw...nv3vJiqAYoE-dg

=VAF= dues paid for 2021
Old 02-18-2021, 07:49 AM

14.1 volts is fine. My Ducati regulator put out 13.8 before I replaced it with a John Deere.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryL View Post
The SH accepts the Ducati connector. I had to add an additional ground wire from the SH regulator to a good local earth point - in my case I have a ground wire from the battery to the firewall so put the regulator onto the cockpit side of the same point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccarpet View Post
Yes I have installed the SH in the cabin as per KAI. I proactively replaced the Ducati VR just shy of 8h TTAF knowing that it will fail sooner or later. If (one day) I should upgrade to the B&C regulator, I would possibly install it at the same location
Thanks to both of you for the detailed descriptions!
Old 02-19-2021, 09:52 PM

Joe,

What kind of service life are you seeing on the John Deere VR?

Rich
Old 02-20-2021, 07:32 AM

I installed the John Deere regulator 4 and a half years ago with heat conductive paste, a cooling shroud and blast tube from the air duct. I monitor its temperature with a thermocouple. It rarely gets much above 150 degrees F when the battery is recharging right after takeoff.
I expect that it will last a long time. I carry a spare just in case. The regulator is not going to fail because it knows that I have a spare.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:50 PM

True, Joe! Ever since I started carrying a spare Ducati my VR has behaved. That Murphy guy got it right!😜