Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2021, 02:02 PM

Default EX - 00044 New Exhaust System for 12 ULS

Any body else out there order this kit? I need you to check something for me.
White Salmon, WA

2020 Donation Paid
Old 01-08-2021, 05:26 AM

I received mine last week.
Alan
Old 01-08-2021, 09:21 PM

I got my answer from Vans today. The EGT probe holes in mine were mis-drilled. You might want to check yours. The fix is easy but I had to ship my tubes back.
White Salmon, WA

2020 Donation Paid
Old 01-10-2021, 10:10 PM

For those of you temped to order this system - don't, at least not just yet. Those of you that have, and have received them, chances are likely that the EGT probe holes in the aft tubes are mis-drilled. I had to send mine back to get repaired. I got them back pretty quick ....but...

The system does not fit my cowling. The forward left spring hanger and spring contact the fiberglass and no amount of "adjusting" the muffler is going to fix it. My guess it would require some fiberglass work and a Bump" into the radiator intake plenum.

Sent a note to Vans today, so they should be working it. Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1527.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	501.3 KB
ID:	6799  
White Salmon, WA

2020 Donation Paid
Old 01-11-2021, 08:39 AM

I received mine as well. Havenít taken them to hangar yet. Will be following!
RV12-iS, N221TF, #121130, non-builder
Old 01-12-2021, 05:29 PM

no reply from vans yet
Alan
Old 01-13-2021, 05:41 PM

Default I received my kit in December 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacco View Post
Any body else out there order this kit? I need you to check something for me.
I have not installed the exhaust kit yet and I am still in the assembly stage of my legacy RV-12 build. Engine is waiting to be installed after I get the new engine mount bracket. But after examining the KAI 48 Exhaust System drawings it would appear that the individual tubes with the kit were miss-marked for the cylinder they go to. There are no actual part numbers on the tubes, just paper labels with the cylinder number written on them and taped to the tubes. It appears that the one labelled 1 may actually be for cyl. 3, labelled 2 may actually be for cyl. 1, labelled 3 may actually be for cyl. 2, and labelled 4 is okay. As I mentioned I have not tried to install these yet so this is not verified.
Builder's log www.gregsplane.com
glongpilot@gmail.com
VAF paid 2021
Old 01-15-2021, 10:27 AM

Hi folks. We are aware of this, looking into it further, and will be communication with you soon. Sorry for the wait.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 01-15-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glongpilot View Post
I have not installed the exhaust kit yet and I am still in the assembly stage of my legacy RV-12 build. Engine is waiting to be installed after I get the new engine mount bracket. But after examining the KAI 48 Exhaust System drawings it would appear that the individual tubes with the kit were miss-marked for the cylinder they go to. There are no actual part numbers on the tubes, just paper labels with the cylinder number written on them and taped to the tubes. It appears that the one labelled 1 may actually be for cyl. 3, labelled 2 may actually be for cyl. 1, labelled 3 may actually be for cyl. 2, and labelled 4 is okay. As I mentioned I have not tried to install these yet so this is not verified.
Pay no attention to how they are marked. Compare the shape of the two aft tubes to the plans. Then, compare the position of the probe holes to the drawing.
White Salmon, WA

2020 Donation Paid
Old 01-19-2021, 05:03 AM

Dear RV-12 Builder/Owner,

We recently shipped you a new EX-00044 exhaust system for your RV-12 with a Rotax 912 ULS engine.

We’re excited for you to get in installed and flying, but unfortunately we’ve become aware of manufacturing errors in the exhaust system we sent you, which must be corrected. The issues are:

The EGT probe holes were mis-drilled in the EX-00044C pipe for Cyl #3 and the EX-00044D pipe for Cyl #4
The spring hooks are mis-located on the EX-00044B pipe for Cyl #2 , which causes a fit issue within the cowl

Please return the EX-00044C and EX-00044D pipes to Van’s Aircraft for correction. When you provide a copy of receipt for your return shipping cost Van’s will reimburse you. Or, if you prefer, please confirm your address information and Van’s will email you a return shipping label and instructions.

Please discard the EX-00044B pipe, as you will receive a new part and should not use the one you initially received from us.

What we are going to do: The EX-00044C and EX-00044D will be repaired by Van’s. We will plug weld the wrong hole and redrill in the correct location. A new replacement EX-00044B will be provided. All three pieces will be shipped back to you as soon as possible. All of these actions are being taken at Van’s cost.

We apologize for the inconvenience this causes, and we look forward to hearing from you and getting the issue corrected as soon as possible.

Thank you,

The Van’s Aircraft Team

Last edited by amekler : 01-19-2021 at 03:40 PM. Reason: removed email adresss