- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:58 PM

Default RV 12 Value retention

Iíd like to build an Rv12 soon. I have the means to do it, but also know that I am likely to want a change within a year or two. I know these arenít an investment and losing a little money is ok. Iíd just like to understand what kind of loss I should be expecting. Letís say I spend $80k and put 100 hours on it. What could I likely expect to recoup? How long should I expect it to take to sell? Just to be clear, itís not about trading up, but rather a constant need for a new project.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:55 PM

$70K return. And maybe don't paint it to reduce losses...... sell in less than 90 days.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID

Last edited by gasman : 08-26-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:30 PM

I think your losses would be less if you held it 3-4 year, and put 300 -400 hours on it.
RV-12, #212 N72DJ, bought flying. A Blessing in disguise. Thank you Double D!
Old 08-27-2020, 03:23 AM

You should make profit !!!

All Vans aeroplanes are appreciating, not depreciating.

We built 2 and comfortably covered our costs, sold within 6 months, unpainted so the new owners can make their own choice.

Was done as an engineering project for a buddy who can't fly but wanted to tick the box of building.

Donated in 2020
Old 08-27-2020, 06:34 AM

In the US at least, I have not seen any real $ growth for the RV-12. The LSA market has lost (or not gained) some value since the advent of basic-med.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post

We built 2 and comfortably covered our costs, sold within 6 months, unpainted so the new owners can make their own choice.

Was done as an engineering project for a buddy who can't fly but wanted to tick the box of building.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:23 AM

Iíve built and sold two 12ís and didnít lose any money on either one of them. I actually made money on the 1st one. It was sold in 2014 and took two weeks to sell by word of mouth. At that time 12ís were a hot commodity. My second 12 was sold in 2019 and the market was very different by then. I didnít lose any money on it and it took a month to sell. In both cases the first guys to come look at them bought them. Both of them presented well with no excuses required. A buddy just bought a decent 12 for a surprisingly low price. All three of these 12ís were carbureted models and it appears that since the Is was introduced, have lost some luster. I think the Is models are probably a better investment
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
$70K return. And maybe don't paint it to reduce losses...... sell in less than 90 days.
Interesting! I would think if I were buying a finished plane I would not want to have to paint it. That said, I like the idea! Definitely some encouraging responses here. No one has laughed at the idea and said get your check book out!
Old 08-27-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post

Profit? Are you adding anything for your labor or is your time worth nothing?
Dave
Old 08-27-2020, 01:17 PM

Default Good deals on the 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12 View Post
A buddy just bought a decent 12 for a surprisingly low price. All three of these 12’s were carbureted models and it appears that since the Is was introduced, have lost some luster. I think the Is models are probably a better investment
There are some tempting deals on the legacy 12s right now in the $60-65k range. That's making me rethink dropping 35-40k on a 150/2 before transitioning to the RV world. I may keep saving for another year.

I'm just shy of 100 hours so that may be the ticket to building time and figuring out the mission that will determine which RV to build.

Last edited by rv7boy : 08-28-2020 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Please read the rules for posting...regarding the lunch truck
Old 08-28-2020, 10:17 PM

I took a negotiating class years ago. One exercise Split us into teams of 4 and gave half the teams an undisclosed amount of money and instructions unknown to the other half who were sellers of a fictions stock. The Secret instructions to the buyers were they could keep whatever money they didnít spend. The undisclosed instructions to the sellers were that they could keep the money the buyers gave them.

The actual amount was $30 for each buyer group. In the end the actual price paid by the buyers ranged from $5 to $25. The point the instructor made was that itís worth what someone will pay, and you donít get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.