Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Stick length?

Hi Guys,

Just wanting to know what length you all ended up with your left side stick?

I have a Tosten grip (mounts on end of stick), and after reading all about "leaving stick full length" in other posts, I did that, but it looks way to long. Was that if you used a slide on grip?

Sure looks like I will have to cut the stick down to get the grip at the position it needs to be.

Thanks for the input.
Tail done, wings done,
Fuselage "almost" complete, working on wiring/panel
Sending $10 monthly in 2021.... Thanks Doug!!
Old 02-21-2021, 10:56 AM

-7 but the fuselages are the same.

Vans sure recommends leaving the stick height the same.
Im using the Ray Allen G407F. I cut the stick down so when the grip was installed the height remained unchanged.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Sliding canopy mostly completed 10/2020
Wiring in progress
Donated for 2021 and so should you
Old 02-21-2021, 11:10 AM

Don't cut anything until you have the panel and all engine controls fully installed. Then leave the total stick length (stick + grip) as long as possible without interfering with panel/controls in any direction.

Following the above guidance, you will likely need to shorten the effective length of the stick a bit depending on the height of your panel (e.g. extended vs standard height) and the placement of your engine controls.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Old 02-21-2021, 11:10 AM

Most stick grips slide over the control stick, like a bicycle grip. Tosten grips are different as they mount to the end of the stick, so you would cut down the stick length to accommodate the Tosten grip length.
Generally most sticks are shortened a bit so the finished length with grip installed clears the bottom of the instrument panel. I usually target at least 1 clearance as I like the skin on my knuckles.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:17 AM

I shortened the sticks in my -6 & -7 by several inches as I prefer the shorter length. Some prefer longer sticks, especially for agressive aerobatics which would not apply to your -9. Leave them long and see what works for you, you can easily cut them down later.

https://i.postimg.cc/529vrcrP/2353-lrg.jpg
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 350+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. (KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:35 PM

Default Stick length?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
Most stick grips slide over the control stick, like a bicycle grip. Tosten grips are different as they mount to the end of the stick, so you would cut down the stick length to accommodate the Tosten grip length.
Generally most sticks are shortened a bit so the finished length with grip installed clears the bottom of the instrument panel. I usually target at least 1 clearance as I like the skin on my knuckles.
My panel is built and about 1-1/2" deeper than stock, but still doing wiring, so I'm not quite at the point of mounting my Infinity stick grips. I tried to lay out the stick geometry (fore and aft throw from neutral position with elevator touching the stops) from the Vans drawings, but wasn't sure about it. Asked Vans but they wouldn't/couldn't tell me.

So how close does the top of the standard stick (without any grips) come to the bottom of the standard panel?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2021, 01:40 PM

Another difference from most other grips is the forward pistol grip angle on those Tosten units. You are pretty much on your own for stick dimensions & deflections. Wait till you get the panel mocked up in there before you cut the tube.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:29 PM

I just cut my co-pilot stick. I have the Tostens CS-8. My natural hand position with my seats in on the Vans stick was about 1.5" inches down from the top. I cut 7 inches off the top of the Co-Pilots stick so that my hand would rest naturally on the grip.

Right now, the top will just contact my panel in the last bit of travel, but I do not have my horizontal stabilizer or elevator attached yet. Still working n my garage so space is a little limited.

RV-7
Empanage-Complete
Wings- Lower Skins to go
Fuselage- In progress
Tail Wheel Endorsement-
RV Familiarization-
Old 02-22-2021, 11:32 AM

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for all your responses.

My assumption was true. As the Tosten grip sits on top of the stick (with it's mounting bushing) it adds about 6-7 inches to the stick.

I have the panel installed and the grip will interfere with the panel so I plan on shortening it by the length of the grip to get the proper total length/clearance.
Tail done, wings done,
Fuselage "almost" complete, working on wiring/panel
Sending $10 monthly in 2021.... Thanks Doug!!