- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:46 AM

Default Dimple Dies specific to -10 build

While dimpling angled stiffners on practice airfoil kit, I noticed that the die would press up into the 90 angle and slightly deform the material.

In regards to a -10 build, I have the empennage kit ordered and waiting for its arrival.

Are there many parts where the distance from the hole to be dimpled is short causing the dimple die to press into the angle? If so, is there a special technique you recommend when encountering this?

On a fun note, back riveting went really well until I realized and installed them backwards. Hahahaha. Get practice in drilling out 14 rivets now.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:53 AM

Yeah there are a lot of places where there won't be enough clearance for the dimple die. You can either grind down one side of the die a little to create the clearance you need or you can buy special narrow dimple dies like this one from Cleaveland: https://www.cleavelandtool.com/produ...31450439057470

You're definitely not the first to back rivet a skin with nothing else attached to it! At least that is easily fixable, unlike if you go off the edge of your back rivet plate while riveting
Old 02-14-2021, 10:57 AM

I did most of the j channels in the tail cone via back rivet. I used a router to make pockets for my back rivet bar in a piece of plywood I put on top of my table. It was quick, easy, and I could do most of it solo.

RV8 N189DK
RV10 in progress
Old 02-21-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtac View Post
I did most of the j channels in the tail cone via back rivet. I used a router to make pockets for my back rivet bar in a piece of plywood I put on top of my table. It was quick, easy, and I could do most of it solo.
+1 on this...I was able to rivet 90% of the tail one solo by backriveting....results were MUCH better as well