What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help with Garmin 760

sabswbc

Well Known Member
I just installed a Garmin aera 760. The unit has WiFi and two RS232 inputs. I have an echo ads-B that I connected to my AFS 5600. The echo also has WiFi and I can connect to my phone or IPad. I would like to connect to the Area760 but Garmin want help and there are no instructions.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Sam

The Echo and any modern Garmin portable are incompatible. Wireless or hard wired. Not going to happen. Echo will play well with other manufacturers stuff. Just not Garmin.

The only real options for you to get ADS-B "in" for the aera 760 is a GDL 50, 52 or "R" models of the same (I prefer the portable non-R versions). Or use one of the fancy Garmin ADS-B transponders like GTX 345, GTX 45R or the Transponder/GPS 2" navigator GNX 375. Basically it will take money and installation.

The only real options for you to get ADS-B "in" for the aera 760 is a GDL 50, 52 or "R" models of the same (I prefer the portable non-R versions). Or use one of the fancy Garmin ADS-B transponders like GTX 345, GTX 45R or the Transponder/GPS 2" navigator GNX 375. Basically it will take money and installation.

While I believe it is not mentioned specifically in the documentation the GDL 39/39 3D also works with the 760 using Bluetooth or RS232. I had this running fine before I added the GNX 375. The BT connection gives a few more weather artifacts than the 232 connection. Easiest installation is to stick it on the dash and use BT and run the power cable to 12v. The hard wired cable provides the data lines for the RS232.
Figs

Last edited:
While I believe it is not mentioned specifically in the documentation the GDL 39/39 3D also works with the 760 using Bluetooth or RS232.

You are correct. I was assuming a new install with new "in". In fact I used a GDL 52 and GDL 39 between a couple of airplanes with aera 660 and 760s. It does require the aera to change the serial port data type on the connection because the GDL 5x uses "Connext 57600 Baud" and the GDL 39 uses "Garmin Data Transfer". Both GDLs use the exact same connector and are so easy to exchange it can be confusing at first why they don't seem to talk to the aera prior to finding out the data setting are different and have to be changed in the aera.

Jim

Back