What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuselage table heighth?

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i will be starting on the fuselage next day off work. suggestions for a good heighth for my table would be appreciated. i know my last project i shortened legs for the fuselage.

Short like 24 inches. This will give you room too reach the all the wires. I put mine on the gear as soon as possible, but I am sure you will get different options on that.

Best thing I EVER did....

For the Fuse, start with standard EAA 1000 workbench, and when ready, change to a rotisserie!!!!

Totally worth it. I got mine from EAA'ers at Ramona and passed it along.

afasdl.jpg

Safe, secure and easy to work on. Does not roll though.

Front attach is with motor mount holes. Here is how the tail attached:

etwuw9.jpg

I also used a rotisserie as soon as I attached the tailcone to the fuselage. It was a real pleasure to work on the wiring harness with the assembly on its side and me sitting in a chair.

Bob - If, like me, you are building in a small space my first suggestion is to place locking wheels on your bench. (My thought is having everything in the shop on wheels is the way to go). I have moved my two workbenches around numerous times throughout the project.

My workbench height on wheels is 27 1/2" high. I?m 6?2" and it could be lower ? I feel the 24? previously suggested is about right. My bench has overhangs on it for easy clamping of items and I like to sit on a rolling mechanics stool as much as possible to save the back ? even at 24? my knees would still fit under the overhang.

The rotisserie idea is good, but I have done the wiring prior to attaching the tail cone because of limited space in the shop ... so I need to have the fuselage on a bench.

You should do a lot of RV12 wiring with the fuse on its side. Ditto for installing the rudder pedal assembly. I'm 6'0" and used standard height tables like from Sam's. Worked great. Two of them end to end to build the wings. No rotisserie needed, it sits on its side just fine.

thanks for the replys. my shop is only 16 x 22 so a table is really my only option. i think i will leave as is for now and someday i will get out the saw when the fuselage grows enough and trim the legs, probably to 24''.

I'm using the finish kit crate which is a little shorter than the standard table. A lot of stuff I can do with the fuse on its side. The finish kit has 2 2x4's about 3 feet apart which makes a nice cradle for the fuse on its side ops.

I've seen saw horses work here as well. The only problem with the finish kit crate is when you do to do something where you need access to both sides of the floor at the same time.

My main build table is on tall saw horses. I figured that way I could get shorter saw horses when the time came. I just haven't gotten there yet. My lower back appreciates the height for working on stuff where I don't have to bend over.

Bob

Here you go. Check the picture with dimensions in it. You might have to change the length to accommodate your -12. (One thing I don't mention in there is that I lowered the table during the build to make it easier to work on.)

Back