What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New builder - rolling edges, is it necessary?

I have seen a few places where rolling the edges of skins was discussed. Is this necessary? If so, what tool do you recommend?

Thanks,
Gary

On flat skins, you can get away without doing it, but on rounded skins, it's a necessity IMO. When properly done, it ensures that the edge of the skin is going to lay flat after it is riveted. You can overcook it if you are not careful and the results are worse than if you didn't bend it.

I prefer to use a RV-4 canopy edge rolling tool. You can get one at any of the tool suppliers like Avery. I like it because it has a thick handle that is easy to grip and it has four big rollers instead of two small rollers on the "typical" rolling tool. With this tool, it is real easy to put just the slightest bend in the edge.

My Cessna 180, built in '55, has many of its edges broken as Bill described. It's a very mild bend, almost undetectable, and it really works.

Dave
RV-3B, now on tanks

Good Morning,

I used the Cleaveland Aircraft Tool edge forming tool model EF60. This is based on a pair of vise grips with a couple of rollers. You can adjust the grip screw to control how much you break the edge (very little).

The tool has a tendency to roll off the edge of the metal, so I recommend getting some sheet metal and practicing the use of this tool.

God Luck.

For me the key with the vise-grip style tool is that you do not pull it by the handle. Instead, one hand held the tool against the work and the other hand turned the roller part manually. VERY precise control resulted from that method, compared to "pulling" and "running off the edge." It is just a small amount slower.

i used the vise grip tool and it works very well but as mentioned you have to be careful and go slow.
i don't think lap joints will look fit as good [tight] if you don't break an edge.

I went low tech. Lay the skin on your work bench with the center of the holes right on the table edge. Then take a block of wood and rub it back and forth on the skin to get it to curve slightly over the table edge.

You can overcook it if you are not careful and the results are worse than if you didn't bend it.

There may be an individual aesthetic preference. All my lap joints were broken with the vice grip roller tool and they are tight and visible the way I like it. I have yet to hear disparaging words about it when onlookers gawk at the polish job.

I agree that on straight edges like wing skin overlap joints, overcooking the bend has fewer consequences. This was the joint I was specifically referring to since this was posted in the RV-12 forum.
emp40.jpg

If you don't break this edge, it may pucker, and if you over-break this edge, it may get wavy. It has a compound bend and it tapered. Since this is on top and visible to everyone who sees your airplane, you want to try and get this one right.

Back