What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tall Pilot

cmdro

I have looked around and have seen some posts talking about tall people fitting in RV-12s, but I'm still looking for the warm fuzzy feeling that I will fit before I order the first kit. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck in finding an RV-12 to "fit test", so comparison references might be my best bet. I'm 6'5, 210lbs, with my height a little more in my legs than torso.

I have flown a DA-20, which was a snug fit, but worked. Has anyone flown in both that could provide a little reference? I also took a quick ride in an RV-6, but took the seat cushion out so I would fit below the canopy with a headset. Looks like Vans took the RV-6 off their website, so I can't compare it's dimensions to the RV-12.

Any other tall guys flying an RV-12 have advice?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I am 6-4 with a 31 inch inseam. I did a fit check in an RV-12 and fit, but its a good thing I don't wear my hair in an Elvis like pompadour.

I am 6'4" with height mostly in legs (36" inseam).

For me, RV12 is fine headroom wise - with or without the little booster cushion that goes under the main cushion (part of the Van's upholstery set).

I do have some interference with the throttle when at idle, as for landing. It keeps me from getting full stick movement to right unless I work my knee under the extended throttle.

It looks like it would be easy to move the throttle to the right, trading places with the cabin heat control. Have not flown enough yet to decide whether or not to make that change.

Keith Williams, Milan, IL
Built RV 6 1989-99; still flying
Built RV 12 5/2011-11/2012; recently finished Phase 1 testing.

test flight

A trip up to the factory in Aurora, Oregon, about 50 miles south of Portland would get you a tour of the factory, a test fit and likely a test flight. That's what I did before commiting to an expensive new toy. Make an appointment if you want a test flight.

I have a 32" sitting height and clear the canopy by about 1". A friend with the same sitting height says he may hit his head in turbulence. I just started building so I can not say from experience about the turbulence.

GlennF

I am 6-3, long in the legs (wear 34" pants), and fit fine with headset. A friend who occasionally flys with me is about the same height, but most of his "tallness" is in his torso. He hasn't had a problem. The little wedge cusions are always installed - in fact I never thought about not using them. I have also flown the Diamond airplanes with no problem.

It's still a good idea to try an airplane on before committing. Maybe Van's can get you a contact near where you live, if you can't get up to the factory.

A quick story - a few years ago I committed to buy a Taylorcraft from a friend who was doing a ground-up restoration. When he got the fuselage done I tried to get into it - and discovered that my legs just couldn't fit into that cockpit, and I had to back away from the deal!:(

I'm 6' 4" with a 34" inseam, and about 210 lb. I have about 20 hours in the EN-1 RV-12. I fit well, but have not tried the booster cushions some have mentioned. I have no knee room problems. Actually there seems to be more room in the 12 than in my 9A, especially elbow room. Gettin in and out is easier also. The seating position is a little different, IMHO. I do wear Halo headsets, and tall people do well to consider behind the head headsets. With them, I clear the Koger sunshade by probably an inch. Like everyone has said, try one on for yourself. They are great airplanes, but comfort is important. No one can figure that out except you.

Bob

Upholstery altering option

If you try an RV-12 on for size, and still find the headroom or legroom lacking, (but almost OK), I would suggest discussing it with Abby at Flightline Interiors--the fine folks there could trim down the thickness of the seat bottom cushion or the back cushion. My favorite pilot/wife, all 5'3" of her, had the opposite problem. For a reasonable $40, Abby provided an extra 4- or 5-inch thick back cushion which is appropriately velcroed such that it goes between the aluminum seat back and the regular back upholstery. That, combined with some rudder/brake pedal extensions, took care of her undertall-ness. I believe Jetguy and Rdog modified the angle of their rudder pedals and/or brake pedals to give a little more room or better operating angle--not sure the exact reason.

Shouldn't be an issue to fit

I am 6?4?? shrunk ? in over the years. With a 35? inseam I had the same concerns, but sat in Mitch Lock's RV12 before buying and no issue (15 min later I had ordered a kit at Oshkosh 2011). The pilot seat is set as far back and don?t use the adjuster for the back. I also remove half of the thickness for the pad that is under the bottom cushion. A good knife worked the trick and then put it back in the cover and was good to go.
Plenty of head room with a hat, headsets on. I also have the sun shield above my head. You should have no issues, but find someone in your area and try one on :)

Headroom

I have an RV9 and had my cushions lowered by 1" and I also use a clarity aloft headset. Doing these two mods gave me about 2 inches extra room. You could probably use the same tricks is you find its close.:cool:

NEED TO TRY ONE ON TOO

I LIVE IN NORTHERN SAN DIEGO CO AND AM LOOKING FOR A 12 TO SIT IN BEFORE BUYING. ANYBODY CLOSE TO HELP?

WILL TRAVEL IF NEEDED

LOOKING FOR FIT CHECK IN SAN DIEGO AREA

IS THERE ANY RV12 AVAILABLE FOR FIT CHECK IN THE SAN DIEGO/SOCAL AREA.:rolleyes:

Back