What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED wing/wag question ???

HIIFLY

Well Known Member
I have an RV-6 with 12 v standard landing lights and a wing /wag unit of un known brand . Can I install two new LED and should they work with my system or do the LED's require a specific LED wing/wag unit ?
Thanks to all who reply , Joe

This depends upon the wig wag device/component. The low cost wig wag relays use the resistance of lights to energize the relay coil and pull the relay arm back and forth. Depending upon how much your LED lights draw, this may or may not work. Some have added large resistors at the light to make the wig wag work. My LED lights drew almost 4 amps each, but still wouldn't drive the relay.

When I switched ot LED lights, I went to an LED compatible wig way relay ($12 @ Amazon), but it also requires a new wiring design, as it uses a discrete circuit for the switching power. With the resistive style, you just wire 12 VDC into the center with two light outputs. The LED style adds a ground and whenever that grd lead is grounded, the relays continuously cycles. Therefore, you end up switching the input voltage, not the light outputs.

In summary, you really need to determine what you ahve and how it is wired.

Larry

This depends upon the wig wag device/component. The low cost wig wag relays use the resistance of lights to energize the relay coil and pull the relay arm back and forth. Depending upon how much your LED lights draw, this may or may not work. Some have added large resistors at the light to make the wig wag work. My LED lights drew almost 4 amps each, but still wouldn't drive the relay.

When I switched ot LED lights, I went to an LED compatible wig way relay ($12 @ Amazon), but it also requires a new wiring design, as it uses a discrete circuit for the switching power. With the resistive style, you just wire 12 VDC into the center with two light outputs. The LED style adds a ground and whenever that grd lead is grounded, the relays continuously cycles. Therefore, you end up switching the input voltage, not the light outputs.

In summary, you really need to determine what you ahve and how it is wired.

Larry

Thanks Larry , I will crawl under the panel :( and research it . I have all the paper work for everything else ! But the wing wag unit . Ha , isn't that the way it goes .

Not that it's a big deal, but it's WIG WAG.

wig?wag
ˈwiɡwaɡ/
verbNORTH AMERICANinformal
verb: wig-wag
move to and fro.
"the dog wigwagged his way up the porch steps"
signal by waving an arm, flag, light, or other object.
"Ned furiously wigwagged at her"

:D

I have a pair of AeroLEDs .... all it took to have the wig wag feature was a #22 wire strung from the left one, thru the fuse, to the right one. That's it. ....oh yeah, and a switch or switch position to activate wigwag mode. Talk about easy!

FlyLeds

Have a look into FlyLeds.

Paul does a great service and provides top quality product. Have a search and you will find excellent reviews.

Not that it's a big deal, but it's WIG WAG.

wig?wag
ˈwiɡwaɡ/
verbNORTH AMERICANinformal
verb: wig-wag
move to and fro.
"the dog wigwagged his way up the porch steps"
signal by waving an arm, flag, light, or other object.
"Ned furiously wigwagged at her"

:D

Thanks, I stand Corrected ! 😎 Wig/Wag . I must have been thinking ,
Lt. Wing /Rt. wing , Lt. Wing/ Rt. wing , ect. Ha ha .

Back