What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

another RV-7 flies

Bob Redman

Sponsor
Good day to you all,

Our RV-7, #72450, VH-YMG, flew for the first time Tue 16 Aug 11 from Maitland airfield NSW Australia. With much help and assistance, I planned the flight, and then flew the plan. We were grateful that there were no surprises, and no need to switch to the contingency/emergency plans. The post flight inspection was good - also no surprises. I noticed big grins all around, but guess who had the biggest grin ?

I have sent two photos to the Van's Aircraft webmaster, but my attempts to post photos here have been lost in the ether. I will await the return home of my younger son to again coach me through the digital world.

The build (QB) took four years and about 2000 man hours, mostly using hand tools, particularly a file. Life kept interfering, and that too was fun, especially the two new grandchildren. Painting, assembly, rigging etc at the airfield took about 18 months.

We enjoyed the building, but early on I wondered if I had the persistence, patience and competence to finish the task. Good news - if I can build a (pre-cut, pre-drilled) Van's aircraft, then so can most people. We stuck closely to the plans. The only modifications were for ease of access and service, eg: shift the panel support extensions to allow the Dynons to fit in the best real estate; delete canopy jettison for the same reason, and to better (continuously) seal the canopy at the front. I completed as much of the build as I could, but with assistance from family and friends when I needed another set of hands. i was tempted to pay for wiring, but bit the bullet and completed it myself. The aircraft was painted by a local car repairer, John Burke and crew at Randall's Maitland (I prepped (a lot), and watched). The glass work on fairings, snorkel, cowls, canopy, etc all benefitted from close supervision of my attempts by Laura Princehorn, although the blemishes are my responsibility alone, despite her very able and considerable help and advice - I do not like working in glass.

THE THANKS:

Family for full support & humour during the spend of their inheritance: for wife Shaun, and son Ross - the first ports of call for extra hands; for daughter Heather for her graphics advice and production of the files; for son Ean, and daughter Lauren, for their interest & support from afar; for my brother John for many tasks.

Friends, for help, advice, ales, and laughs: John Murphy (Emeraude), Al Buttenshaw (RV-4), Geoff Eather (Zenith & Lightning), Cliff Princehorn (RV-8A), Kerry Reid (Bonanza), David campbell, David Badcock, Mark Lees; Dave Anderson and Geoff Alexander, neighbours, and suppliers of wood for jigs, occasional tools, and heavy lifting.

Jake Jansen for advice and help with the electrics. Jimmy & 'Slippery' from Abstract Signs for the vinyl.

Vans - inspired design, superb kit, and excellent service.

VANSAIRFORCE - thanks Mr Doug Reeves, and all the contributors, you certainly minimised research and re-invention.

Sports Aircraft Association of Australia, particularly Grant Piper (Tech Advisor, RV-4 and Giles 200), and Martin Ongly for the CofA.

THE AIRCRAFT

The aircraft has: tip-up; Aerosport IO-360 M1B, parallel valve, E/PMags; Hartzell C/S BA; B&C 40amp Alternator; Skytec LW starter; and, Vince Frazier's tail wheel.

Panel is D/NVFR (or will be NVFR if a certified GPS replaces the Lowrance when it expires): Dynon D100 EFIS, D120 EMS, AP-74, two -32 servos; Lowrance 2000c GPS; Xcom radio; Microair transponder; vertical card compass; G-meter.

Electrics are as simple as possible, combo of Van's and electric Bob's Z-11 ?: main bus (fuse block); avionics bus (fuse block via relay); 40 amp fuse between alternator and the rest; L3 external regulator; Odyssey 680 battery. The four circuit breakers are: alternator field; autopilot servos (1 cb for both); EMag; PMag. With hindsight, probably I would have used a CB to allow manual isolation of the flap motor, if the flap motor ever caused grief, rather than wait for a fuse to deal with the grief.

The interior too is simple. Neutral vinyl seats from Classic Aero, the rest is QB wash prime or rattle can, mostly silver with a hammered finish.

We modified the control columns so both are removable: cut the left column, and fitted a second right column using a metal shim and the standard bolt, nut & washer. No wires to the columns. PTT L&R are either side of the throttle on the engine sub panel. The flap switch is on top of the spar just aft of the fuel valve, and protected by a guard. So no HOTAS. We use a start button and two lift and throw toggle switches for the P-Leads - thank you Mr Stein. The mods and Dynons make flying from either seat as easy as possible.

Complete and painted basic weight is:1085lb, 492kg. Empty CofG is 78.2 inches, 1987.4 mm.

THE RESULT

So far all the temperatures and pressures have stayed within limits. I was pleased with the control harmony, and the tight, taught feel - I did not detect any control slop, breakout force or friction.

initial data observed during the first flight (0.6hrs) included the following:

TO AUW 1490lb, CofG 80.9inches. One pilot, right seat.

Hp 5000ft, OAT +9C (+48 F), 100LL avgas, 24/2400, full rich, 44.5 Litres/Hr, 70.3 lb/Hr ('K' factor not yet adjusted), 137 KIAS, 149 Kt GPS groundspeed with Dynon indicating nil wind aloft - a big fat winter high pressure system - the skid ball was centred with no rudder input or trim tab (but gear fairings removed).

Oil: 75 deg C, 167 deg F/91 PSI.

CHT 1/2/3/4: 161/186/182/188 deg C; 322/367/360/370 deg F.

EGT 1/2/3/4: 697/672/667/687 deg C; 1287/1242/1233/1269 deg F.

Please note that the two front cylinders do not have the optional blanking described in the Van's baffle kit.

I had Aerosport balance and run the new engine, prop and governor on the test bed for an extra few hours to minimise risk and help break-in. This decision helped ease pressure for the first flight.

A long and most enjoyable journey - and very worthwhile.

Thanks, best regards, and keep building !

Bob Redman

Last edited:
Great job Bob, thanks for posting the extra data points ie engine temp etc, as I hope to have my CofA later this week and be doing the same thing.

Hope to see the picture of your plane soon. :)

Outstanding

Excellent write up as well, dying to see the pics.

I have a feeling that with the dollar the way it is in 2 to 3 years time we will see a mass surge in the number of Ozzie RVs.

That would be awesome.

Congrats

Well done Bob - due reward.

Look forward to meeting you some time down the track.....

Enjoy a safe Phase 1.

Cheers

Jon

Well done

Great news Bob! Hope the testing goes really well. I hope it won't be too long before I'm in the same place as you.

Cheers

Jim

Good onyer

Thanks for posting the comprehensive 1st flight data.... good luck with the rest hope to see you in Queensland soon...quite a few RV's here in the south east corner

Bob congratulations! I am so far away from that moment I cant even see it in the distance. Happy flying!

Congratulations

Congratulations Bob,

Good to hear you planned well and executed the plane accordingly. Isn't it sensational when you have that first flight completed and safely back on the ground for the first time? It means so much more than just another flying plane!

Good luck with your phase one and looks like you already have some good figures there to work with on your engine.

Cheers, Greg Blakey (Sale, Victoria)
RV-7A (Tip-Up, VH-VGB, FADEC IOF 180M1B) 15hrs completed of Phase 1:)

THANKS

Thank you for your best wishes and comments. I will post the photos ASAP, and add reports of progress from time to time.

Shaun and I will be at Narromine for the SAAA meeting 15 to 18 Sep. Look for a red MGB, either a '62 roadster, or a '72 coupe - we are staying at the tourist (gliding) park opposite SAAA HQ. We doubt that Phase 1 will be finished in time to fly the aircraft. I expect a few of you will be there, and we look forward to meeting you.

Regards

Bob

congratulations.
I finished mine 7A last january and, until today, I did 4 flights, 10m each. In all the flights the oil temp start raising until the end of the scale, 127C. I checked almost everything but the cooler. Until now, everything I have checked was normal (oil, filter, thermovalve, temp probe, vent ducts, fuel flow, timing, etc.). I'm looking the plane everydays without the possibilty to fly she. I'm very sad.
The problem is not high temps like 105 or 110C, the problem is very high temps like 125, 130 C !!!!

Congratulations once more.

Antonio

Back