What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Diagram

NASA515

Well Known Member
I have a question for Scott. But first, thanks to Vans for putting me on to Dassault's DraftSight I have 6+ Cad/Cam programs loaded, including an older version of AutoCad which is unable to read the current RV-12 .dwg file. The AutoCad cloud viewer is cumbersome - with setting up an account, loading the file into the cloud, and working the app in the cloud (I like to see puffy clouds mostly when I'm out flying on a nice day.). DraftSight is much easier with the App and Dwg right there on my machine. Boeing has been using CATIA for many years - it's a Dassault program, and I can see some of it in their simplified 2D product released (for free) to the public. I always like a new and better software toy, and especially a free one! I can see using this going forward for a lot of my Cad/Cam work.

The RV-12 electrical drawing is an excellent reference, and I find it much easier to use it than the Plans pages where connections are scattered over many pages, and tracking the wiring big picture can be very difficult. I can follow the Plans pages for hook-ups, but, for example, doing end-to-end continuity checks is tough - in essence I have to recreate the wiring diagram on a new piece of paper - combining the info off of several Plans pages.

The "problem" with the Wiring Diagram is it's "lack of authority" and "vagueness." Starting with the lack of authority - a big note above the title Block says Reference Only, Use the Plans pages, and contains a big disclaimer about not being responsible for damage resulting from using the Diagram.

The "vagueness" comes from the lack of a Drawing Number, Date, and even a Model Number (shown as "RV-XX".) The File Name shows RV-12, including Finish Kit ship date and Drawing Release Date, so there should be no ambiguity about what we are talking about or what is represented on the face of the Drawing. It seems to me this drawing SHOULD be authoritative (I assume there is an up-to-date authoritative version on Vans computers), and basically should be the controlling document for the wiring on this configuration controlled E-LSA airplane. It should have a Drawing Number, a Revison Level, Model Number and Date, and should be kept up-to-date on Vans website to allow builders to check that they have the latest version. With DraftSight, it would be a simple matter to view the newest file.

So, I'm a little confused (no comments please.) Are we supposed to insert our own N-Number, Model Nbr, Date etc into the drawing - and make it out own. I can do this easily enough, but why do it, if what I wind up with is a non-authoritative drawing suitable for reference only (whatever that means) with a disclaimer. Obviously, Vans put a lot of effort into designing the electrical system, documenting it on the provided drawings, and also providing a lengthy PDF file on how to read and use the drawing. Only to plaster a big bold "WARNING - Use at your own Risk" prominently on the front.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Back