What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Control Grips

bhassel

Well Known Member
I saw a picture of the 12 on Van's web site (I beleive it was 'Blue') that appeared to have two different grips on the sticks. So can you put different stick grips on prior to the pink slip or do you have to wait?

Bob

I don't think your choice in not matching the grips is going to take your 12 outside of the e-lsa realm.

You have to supply your own grips anyway, so I think the only issue would be if you connected up more than the basic PTT switch. eg. trim buttons, AP on/off etc.

Grips are your choice

I bought mine at a local bike shop and will probably replace them when the kit-supplied PTT's giove out.

Wayne 120241/143WM-- too cold to fly!!

RayAllen G3 Trim wired in parallel with Panel?

Up to the wiring stage and would like a trim switch on the stick as well as the panel. Not sure how this can be done exactly although Vans say it should be possible to wire in parallel. If anyone has experience with such a caper would sure appreciate your help?

John
Oz

I wired the trim to the Ray alley grip.

If you parallel it will work but if you push both buttons at the same time you create a short, so you need little control relays in between with an additional interlock contact.
I also used a toggle switch in the grip with an additional relay to switch the fuel pump, which I only use during start and landing.
This saves about 2 amps which I use for a second SV1000 screen.
Another pushbutton of the stick I use for engage/disengage the auto pilot just parallel to the dash button.

It all works great for 110 flying hours, but getting 8 wires through the stick is a real pain but I managed.

RV-12 Grips

We retrofitted Tosten Grips C-6 to our RV-12.
They now have the proper adapters.
Suggest you ask for about 12" extension on the prewired Grips to allow better fitting to the control relay.
Pictures available upon request.

Back