What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A safe gas can to carry along?

Bill_H

Well Known Member
Is there a gas can to take 5 gallons along safely? One where the altitude change would not make a difference i.e. no venting issues? I can see going to a fly-in or other day trip to somewhere close that might not have car gas - and wanting to add 5 for the return trip.

My search here on the forum didn't turn anything up.

I don't mean a permanently plumbed solution - like Jetguy and Rdog's. (BTW guys - getting CLOSE! SKyview almost done, then it will be time to start engine testing!

Bill,

Why would you want to chance carrying 5 gallons of gas in the cockpit with you? Why not buy five gallons of 100LL from the FBO where you are going? Your engine is designed to run on either, and even if you prefer to normally run car gas your engine is not going to even notice if you run an occasional load of 100LL.

John

Doesn't sound like BigJohn's been to an airport where the nearest FBO is a couple hundred miles away.

Any plastic gas can will do, but the bigger issue is keeping the cans strapped down so they can't move around.

John Peck, good point - the query is kind of a "what if." A plastic can "should" work if it is very full so that the expansion effect on the air inside is nil as altitude increases. But I am wondering "what I don't know."

Filler 'er Up

Bill,

I've hauled thousands of gallons (in a 172) in "five" gallon plastic containers. Plastic doesn't scratch, but take care to keep the fill nozzle in contact with the container which you should set on the ground, and the container in contact with the airframe when emptying to ground electrical potential to prevent any static discharge.

The "five gallon" containers I use actually have a 5.8 capacity. I fill to 5.5 gallons for two reasons. 1. That leaves a .3 buffer so I don't slop when filling or emptying and a bit of expansion for different fuel temperatures. 2. (the important reason) A small air volume prevents farting gas fumes in climb. 2a. Don't fly with partial fill and remove the cap from the empty container.

John Siebold

Any heavy plastic should be fine.

I used to fly a zodiac CH601 that was subaru powered. I'd fly with a couple small "cans" strapped down behind me. I later found some smaller ones that would fit in the wing lockers and would fly from Colorado to Kansas with 2 small plastic cans in each wing. I'd land after a few hours. . stretch, and top back off before finishing the trip. There are lots of airports in western kansas, not many options when it comes to fuel, escpecially mogas.

There are some differences in plastic jugs though. Some are fairly thin and can really balloon up when they pressurize. I'd go with a couple smaller ones constructed with heavy plastic. I carry gas in back of a truck and on hot summer days they dont swell like the bigger ones.

I also like what some have done here with adding removable marine style tanks for extended flights.

As far as safety, you are flying around with a large tank already sitting behind you. I've had/ have several planes with header tanks sitting over your lap as well. My RV6 has several lines running under my feet that I sure wouldn't want leaking either. Make sure the can is strong, tight, and secure and should be good to go.

We haul (6) ea. 5 gallon plastic containers of gas to our fly-in island property with my friends C210 on a regular basis. We have a Chevy Suburban, a four wheeler and generators that need gas on a regular basis. It really is not an issue. Don't fill to the top, say fill to 4.5 gallons, strap them down and go fly. BTW... there are no gas stations on the island. :D

Last edited:
I believe these are popular with back country and arctic pilots in Canada/Alaska.
I've no experience of them, but they can be rolled up and stored easily when not in use.

The Turtlepac alternative is very good quality, but is very expensive.

If you use while airborne, how do you vent it?

Bevan

I transfer from the portable tank to the planes tank until a vacuum is evident by slight collapse of the portable tank then crack open the vent screw on the portable tank until pressure equalizes.

Alaska bushwheel website

Google the Alaska Bushwheel website. They have a collapseable container that is specifically meant to hold gas. Easy to strap down and after use take up little room.

Doesn't sound like BigJohn's been to an airport where the nearest FBO is a couple hundred miles away.

Any plastic gas can will do, but the bigger issue is keeping the cans strapped down so they can't move around.

You're right about that! I'm seldom more than 10 miles from a self-serve pump. I admit that would make a big difference!

Back