What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buy Before Oshkosh

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
So I was thinking how jealous I was that I won't be attending Oshkosh this year. I went last year... so I did have my fix recently. I recently bought a little electric scooter so that I could use it at airshows and Oshkosh. I was very disappointed to find out that my scooter wouldn't fit in the back seat of my -4. It was close. Very close. I honestly think it would fit in the 6,7,8,10. Would be a good purchase. I have a ball riding around on this and I weigh in at 205. It hauls me about 11-14 mph. Supposedly it had a 15 mile range. It's called a swag cycle. Link here.
https://www.amazon.com/SWAGTRON-SwagCycle-E-Bike-Collapsible-Handlebar/dp/B01MTOL6HF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499516726&sr=8-1&keywords=Swag+cycle

Another thing I found that is on my short list to buy is a new small Air Conditioner. Perfect for a tent, dry camper, or airplane. It's on kickstarter now so I don't know if you'd get it in time for Oshkosh... but here is the link.https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zero-breeze-the-world-s-coolest-portable-ac-unit#/

Back seat -4

Tinker,

Have you tried taking the back seat stick out? You'd be surprised how much stuff you can put back there when you don't have to worry about the stick. I have a cover plate that fits over the opening and no worries. You do have to keep in mind where the flap tubes move though.

Oly

I couldn't get it to clear the roll bar. I was about 2-3 inches shy. I thought about making the front wheel a quick release wheel. It would probably work then.

If I could get it to fix, I actually think the rear stick would be be in the way. It would be close.

Did you try removing the seat *back*? Looks like it would slide right in, if you could use the baggage area combined with the seat area.

On the A/C unit: Assuming that it actually works, how would you use it in a tent? The heat has to go somewhere; pumping it back into the tent seems a bit counterproductive.

Charlie

FWIW, There are restrictions at Oshkosh on use of motorized vehicles.

From EAA.org
PERSONAL TRANSPORTATION GUIDELINES
Do not operate any unlicensed motorized vehicles including motorbikes, motor scooters, or motorcycles.

No roller-skating, skateboarding or rollerblading is allowed.

A driver?s license is required to drive any type of vehicle in Camp Scholler.

Bicycles and personal transportation devices, such as Segways, are allowed in Camp Scholler only (except that the following are allowed everywhere on the EAA grounds: a. One person electric/handicapped convenience vehicles; and b. Other Personal Disability Mobility Devices, such as Segways, when required because of the individual?s mobility disability and when operated in a safe manner, consistent with 28 C.F.R. 36.311(b)(1).).

Bicycle corrals are located in three locations: Theater in the Woods (near the East Gate), Bus Park, and North 40 Gate.

Did you try removing the seat *back*? Looks like it would slide right in, if you could use the baggage area combined with the seat area.

On the A/C unit: Assuming that it actually works, how would you use it in a tent? The heat has to go somewhere; pumping it back into the tent seems a bit counterproductive.

Charlie

My rear seat was built with a hinge that is rivited to the floorboard. I will probably change it at some point. With the seat out, it would fit no problem.

As for the AC. There is a "slinky looking" hose that connects to the ac unit that has to be vented outdoors.

FWIW, There are restrictions at Oshkosh on use of motorized vehicles.

From EAA.org
PERSONAL TRANSPORTATION GUIDELINES
Do not operate any unlicensed motorized vehicles including motorbikes, motor scooters, or motorcycles.

No roller-skating, skateboarding or rollerblading is allowed.

A driver’s license is required to drive any type of vehicle in Camp Scholler.

Bicycles and personal transportation devices, such as Segways, are allowed in Camp Scholler only (except that the following are allowed everywhere on the EAA grounds: a. One person electric/handicapped convenience vehicles; and b. Other Personal Disability Mobility Devices, such as Segways, when required because of the individual’s mobility disability and when operated in a safe manner, consistent with 28 C.F.R. 36.311(b)(1).).

Bicycle corrals are located in three locations: Theater in the Woods (near the East Gate), Bus Park, and North 40 Gate.

The scooter wouldn't be allowed in the gate, but would be much handier than catching the bus, or getting food, or just running around the camp. Technically it is street legal. The Swag Cycle has disk brakes, head light, tail light, and horn. I have actually seen one person riding in in the airport terminal. They can be given the same status as an electric wheel chair.

X

Remove the hinge pin to remove the seat back.

My rear seat was built with a hinge that is rivited to the floorboard. I will probably change it at some point. With the seat out, it would fit no problem.

As for the AC. There is a "slinky looking" hose that connects to the ac unit that has to be vented outdoors.

The hinge pin should be in two pieces with the inner ends bent 90 degrees, pull the pins out from the center and remove the seat back. The hinge is used so the seat can fold forward and be easily removed.

The hinge pin should be in two pieces with the inner ends bent 90 degrees, pull the pins out from the center and remove the seat back. The hinge is used so the seat can fold forward and be easily removed.

What Russ said. Shouldn't be any big deal to pull the pins & remove the back.

The scooter wouldn't be allowed in the gate, but would be much handier than catching the bus, or getting food, or just running around the camp. Technically it is street legal. The Swag Cycle has disk brakes, head light, tail light, and horn. I have actually seen one person riding in in the airport terminal. They can be given the same status as an electric wheel chair.

X

Segways are considered personal transportation in Florida and not like a hoverboard. They are allowed where wheelchair access is allowed.
I plan on bringing my segway to use on the perimeters as well as short jaunts to town.
They are a blast to ride.

On Amazon for $600. Look for sales as I bought mine for $600, then they went on sale for $500 within 30days of my purchase. They credited me back $100.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z6HUJ...DZVRR79KDYSN1MBT0&ie=UTF8&qid=1499541732&sr=1

Last edited:
on a somewhat related subject, i thought the use of motorized vehicles around camp scholler last year was way out of hand. KIDS were everywhere on motorized you name it. never a problem until there is.
then someone from the law offices of..........will be knocking on the door of your motorhome.

Back