What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 Not sure page 9-4

Soarandtow

1st paragraph about the forward rib flanges not being square On we-716 and to mod filing or belt sander. I'm not sure where I'm to check for squareness. Can someone send a pic or better explain.

Bad fit

Hi LD,

I don't have my manual in front of me, but I assume you're talking about the leading edge wing ribs. Two things, the instructions make no sense, and the ribs are a VERY bad fit. I had to re-bend the flanges to narrow the ribs. I lot of work - fitting, bending, re-fitting, re-bending. I don't know why Vans hasn't addressed this. Most people I've spoken to have had the same problem.

T.

Below is a diagram of what I'm talking about. The dotted line is where I re-bent the flanges to. It's exaggerated for illustration purposes. I'd say I adjusted about a 1/16 inch both top and bottom

Fluting

Might be worth a try - sure would be easier.
Regardless, the ribs are too wide for the leading edge skin.

Nose ribs will fit

I don't post much but I think I can help. I just assembled my RV9 leading edge. First attempt was as per Van's....impossible....2nd attempt as per SmittysRV...worked but still difficult. SmittysRV.com

Back