What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 in Australia

crashley

Well Known Member
Hi all just looking for an update of all the rv12's in australia
how many are flying and how are all the projects going
ours is still going great and we hope to fly to the tumut flyin next month
ashley

Ashley,
Eight flying, twenty building that I know of, but more than likely others out there as well.
Sent you an email with more details.

Just ordered engine kit
making my own D180 panel
waiting to warm up so I can paint inside and attach the tail section.
should be finished some time next year before winter.

cheers
Karl/Mittagong
RV6A sold
RV7A flying 150 hrs
RV12 to be sold when finished.....

Order In!

Hi Folks, I have ordered the first 3 Subkits, - have to get on with bench/ workshop before it arrives! Cheers, Dean W., Sunshine Coast, Queensland..

Hi Folks, I have ordered the first 3 Subkits, - have to get on with bench/ workshop before it arrives! Cheers, Dean W., Sunshine Coast, Queensland..

Hi Dean, Welcome to the RV-12 builders fraternity. Glad you decided to build....and you will be too. Its about as much fun as you can have with your pants on! Looked out for you at OSH, but didn't see you. I will ring you one day soon.

Hi Dean, you should have those 3 sub kits done by Xmas time ! :)
You will find that we have many Rv builders in the Sunshine Coast area, If you ever have any questions please contact me.

RV 12

Well Done Dean and Welcome theres Heaps of INFO on here mate I have'nt even ordered yet & have learn't so much following these Pages Daily since it started...LOL
Cheers John H.

I have a Tailcone/empennage kit waiting to start.
Stumped on the primer, believe it or not.

Marcus
Where did you get your BMS10-11 primer from?
I am in Melbourne.
Sorry for thread creep.

John\0438 44 66 96

Last edited:
John, I used Wattyl Super-Etch if that's any help. Available in both tins and 400gm aerosols.

Robert, I assume you can buy it at most paint stores. I am over the BMS. It is too dangerous and very hard to clean up!

I have a Tailcone/empennage kit waiting to start.
Stumped on the primer, believe it or not.

Marcus
Where did you get your BMS10-11 primer from?
I am in Melbourne.
Sorry for thread creep.

John\0438 44 66 96

John,
PPG Aerospace in Tullamarine are the supplier of BMS10-11.
Their details are:
23 Ovata Drive, Tullamarine, VIC 3043 Australia. Tel (03) 9335 1557
Just make sure you use a good quality respirator. If you want to spray all the parts, bring them out to the LRiver hanger. I use a 3M spay gun system that has very little clean up. Your more than welcome to use it.

Mick Haynes
RV7A VH-ZWR

Robert, I assume you can buy it at most paint stores. I am over the BMS. It is too dangerous and very hard to clean up!

Marcus,
You may have to shop around a bit in Melbourne, but it shouldn't be hard to find. Bunnings don't stock it, so try some of the paint shops. It's very easy to use, either in a gun or just the spray can. Cleans up with acetone.
Cheers

Ashley
I feel bad for hijacking the thread, and won't post about primers again on this thread for that reason.

Mick
Thanks - I have decided to go with simple and do the Wattyl spray can.

Robert
Thanks for the Wattyl onfo.

John

[]
no problems with hijacking the thread it is good to see more people building if anyone wants to have a look at ours or maybe go for a fly let me know and i will see what I can arrange
ashley

Still at it

Serial 120398 is still a work in progress. I had to take nearly a year off plane building for some family stuff but back into it now. Bending longerons is the next job.

RV12-0573 Progressing well

Very happy with progress of SN12-0573. It's much easier and quicker to build a large scale Meccano set, compared to a scratch build project. Both a very enjoyable experience, it's just the RV12 is much faster to assemble and easier to get Visual Progress!
Empenage, Tail cone and Wings finished well into fuselage and preparing wheel spats and Engine whilst bench space is available.
Progress had slowed for a couple of months since my helper & 1/2 owner partner (Son) moved to Weipa for a new job.
I'm back into it now, Fuel tank..... up to fitting lid and front access plate, hmmm .. that gorilla snot is messy stuff to work with, even when you are very careful!

Back