What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Pin Removal Tool

HFS

Well Known Member
Disclaimer: This idea works on Molex, or their look alike type pins, that have two little bent "wings" on either side of the barrel to capture the pin in its housing. Not so much for D-sub types.

Typically, the ones you buy (unless you get the good ones with a "push rod"), are no more than a thin wall, tight fitting sleeve that overruns the pin wings, forcing them back to the nominal diameter necessary for installation - and removal.

Mine are just that - McMaster-Carr (Aviation Division) sells precision SS tubing in enough sizes that you will find something that will work. Once you have the tubing, cut off a length that will be appropriate for your needs, secure it in a handle make from a birch/oak dowel, and - voila, you have it.

I have made several over the years. The one shown, I finished yesterday for some new, sealed connecters I got from Amazon.

If you want to go the extra "mile", you can add the "push rod", to assist in pushing out the pin w/o having to "tug" on the pigtail.

YMMV - but I bet it still works.

HFS

Attachments

• Pin Removal Tool .jpg
    Pin Removal Tool .jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 130
Back