What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote transponder and VP-X

Dorfie

Well Known Member
I am looking for pictures and/or advice of your VP-X and remote Garmin 23ES transponder installation. I find place for the other stuff (ADAHRS, GDL-39R, engine info box, backup battery), but these 2 are not easy.
Also, I assume you do not use the F-1003B Instrument panel lower flange with the Aerosport carbon fiber panel?? Is this correct.
Thanks.
Johan

The only -10 panel I have done with the VP-X and garmin I had the VP-X between he lower panel flange and the sub panel lower flange, basically centered. This allowed access through the holes when the screens were removed.

The transponder was mounted between the sub-panel and the firewall. I wasn't crazy about that installation, due to difficulty of access for removal, but besides that it works fine.

Behind the baggage bulkhead

I have mounted it in the rear behind the baggage bulkhead using the strobe/ELT mount sold by Vans. Works great.

Vic

We mounted Rick's on the shelf behind the baggage bulkhead. The antenna is also a bit further back from the transponder. You could also mount it using the bracket Vans supplies for the Whelen strobe power supply on the side of the fuse behind the baggage bulkhead.

My GTX 23ES is likewise mounted behind the baggage bulkhead on the AHRS shelf Van's sells vs the ELT bracket. That places the unit to left of and behind the battery. The antenna is immediately behind the baggage bulkhead on the tailcone bottom, right of center-line. Works just fine (passed both the Avionics shop cert and FAA ADS-D inflight check).

In the pic below the end of the yellow battery cable is over the shelf in question.

FP19052012A0002K.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. It seems the transponder must go in the rear. The VP-X must find a place behind the panel it seems. I was contemplating making a "drop-down" panel between the panel and the sub-panel bulkhead. If not drop-down then a fixed tray between panel and sup-panel can be accessed by removing one of the G3X touch screens.

Just to come back to the other question about the F-1003B lower panel support: Is this not used with carbon fiber panel? Does it have structural implications if left out?
Thanks.
Johan

Thanks for all the replies. It seems the transponder must go in the rear. The VP-X must find a place behind the panel it seems. I was contemplating making a "drop-down" panel between the panel and the sub-panel bulkhead. If not drop-down then a fixed tray between panel and sup-panel can be accessed by removing one of the G3X touch screens.

Just to come back to the other question about the F-1003B lower panel support: Is this not used with carbon fiber panel? Does it have structural implications if left out?
Thanks.
Johan

It does get left out. Guess the aluminum panel that backs the carbon aerosport panel has the structure. It is all solid when put together.

I put my VPX between the panel and sub-panel just over the pilots knees. Very accessable with EFIS out.

I put my transponder next to the VPX, over the push-pull controls. Works fine there, but have stuff on co-pilot side, so it is not easy to slip in and out. (Bad design). Did not think I would be taking transponder out frequently, but have now taken it apart twice at OSH for software updates.

If you allow for room to slide it in and out, not a bad place for it.

It does get left out. Guess the aluminum panel that backs the carbon aerosport panel has the structure. It is all solid when put together.

I put my VPX between the panel and sub-panel just over the pilots knees. Very accessable with EFIS out.

I put my transponder next to the VPX, over the push-pull controls. Works fine there, but have stuff on co-pilot side, so it is not easy to slip in and out. (Bad design). Did not think I would be taking transponder out frequently, but have now taken it apart twice at OSH for software updates.

If you allow for room to slide it in and out, not a bad place for it.

Thanks Bill,
This helps a lot. I will have to get new wiring harness for transponder if I want to move it to the rear of plane! Hence my efforts to get a front mount.
Did you mount them on parallel angle alum running panel to sub-panel, or did you make a tray from sheet alum? (A drop down tray will be difficult to make due to the geometry of lower carbon fiber panel)
Which direction did you make the transponder slide out?
Did you mount the ADAHRS on sub-panel "bulkhead"? Did you use doublers behind ADAHRS for stability?
Thanks.
Johan

Thanks Bill,
This helps a lot. I will have to get new wiring harness for transponder if I want to move it to the rear of plane! Hence my efforts to get a front mount.
Did you mount them on parallel angle alum running panel to sub-panel, or did you make a tray from sheet alum? (A drop down tray will be difficult to make due to the geometry of lower carbon fiber panel)
Which direction did you make the transponder slide out?
Did you mount the ADAHRS on sub-panel "bulkhead"? Did you use doublers behind ADAHRS for stability?
Thanks.
Johan
Here are 2 pictures while it was under construction. It would have probably been better to lower the transponder a couple inches. (I think looking at the pictures it would have fit 2 inches lower) Then it could have slid out under the ADHR. You are probably using the smaller ADHR. For me I have to remove the ADHR to slide the transponder in and out.
IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

I have the new Aerosport 310 symmetrical panel, and it has it's own angle at the bottom of the subpanel support structure. This is what I used to mount both my VPX and my GTX23ES.

Here is my transponder, mounted on rails between the sub-panel lower flange, and the Aerosport support panel lower flange:
IMG_5869.JPG

(the wires have been cleaned up better since this pic!) This location was the only place I had available, unless I wanted to put it back in the tail. It works OK, but I do need to pull a screen and unbolt the bracket if I need to pull the transponder out of the cage.

Here is my VPX:
IMG_5871.JPG

Again, because of space, I mounted the GTR-20 remote com on top of the VPX. These both work pretty well here, and pulling the G3X touch with 4 screws gives all the access I need.

There are a few more pics of this here:
http://imgur.com/a/z4dBo

Just got my panel from Aerotronics. I plan to mount the VPX along the outbd 'kick panel' of the copilot. Actually it won't be in the way if they do 'kick'. Somewhat below the NACA vent. Aerotronics thought that site would work well and relieves space behind the panel.

Back