-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
w/a Donation

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-15-2020, 09:25 AM

Default RV-4 Autopilot

I am building a new panel and would like to include pitch and roll autopilot from Garmin. I've done some searching and although pitch servo mount and brackets are available for the 4 through Vans, nothing I can find for the roll mode. Any 4 drivers out there using a pitch and roll autopilot? I have the trutrak bracket/mount roll servo drawing to work from but would love to see someone else's project that included this option.
Building RV-4 #2593
Poplar Grove, IL (C77)
603-491-4175
ldjeffries@gmail.com
Old 09-15-2020, 10:28 AM

I believe the two most popular places for the Roll Servo are in the wing and under the floor, to the right of the front seat. Some don't like the under floor option because of interference with the backseaters footwells (if you have those installed). I was able to make the geometry work and still have the footwells, just takes a bit of fiddling. Pitch servo is pretty standard. I basically copied some pics I had saw on VAF and other places of pitch servo mount designs and made my own. Dynon AP install manual had a good diagram/plan. Rigidity is the key. These are GRT servo's but I believe the Garmin's are the same form factor or close to it.

disclaimer: The roll servo pic is not the final install... the geometry is better now and has been working for 150 hours.

Also, I'm not sure why the last pic is upside down. It's right side up on my computer but flipped when uploaded to VAF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8509.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	2491  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8531.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	2492  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8532.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	2495  

RV-4 N249P
O-320, Dual P-Mags, Warnke Prop, Short legs, Manual Flaps, GRT Sport EX

Last edited by Jvon811 : 09-15-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:38 AM
been here awhile

There is another option for the roll servo that was used in years past in the RV-6 before custom bracketry was offered from the autopilot vendors. The roll servo can be mounted at the wingtip and connected to the bellcrank with a pushrod. Here are some details from a RV-6A installation in the previous century.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/navaid.html

Old 09-15-2020, 01:53 PM

Default Cleaver approach

Not my idea but this is the approach I'm going to use on a Rocket airframe. Re-posted with permission. Utilizes RV-6 roll bracket. Saves some money as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV-6 act brack roll.jpeg
Views:	695
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	2498  Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-6 Act Brack2.jpeg
Views:	577
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2499  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:53 AM

Thanks Freemasm. This looks like a nice setup but would affect the back seat footwells. I think I am going to have to either go to the wing, or the wing tip.
Building RV-4 #2593
Poplar Grove, IL (C77)
603-491-4175
ldjeffries@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvon811 View Post
I believe the two most popular places for the Roll Servo are in the wing and under the floor, to the right of the front seat. Some don't like the under floor option because of interference with the backseaters footwells (if you have those installed). I was able to make the geometry work and still have the footwells, just takes a bit of fiddling. Pitch servo is pretty standard. I basically copied some pics I had saw on VAF and other places of pitch servo mount designs and made my own. Dynon AP install manual had a good diagram/plan. Rigidity is the key. These are GRT servo's but I believe the Garmin's are the same form factor or close to it.

disclaimer: The roll servo pic is not the final install... the geometry is better now and has been working for 150 hours.

Also, I'm not sure why the last pic is upside down. It's right side up on my computer but flipped when uploaded to VAF.
Thanks Jvon! It looks like the mount is a little farther back in that first picture potentially allowing the back seat footwells. You don't perchance have a shot of your final position allowing footwells? It looks like the other two shots are the pitch servo?
Building RV-4 #2593
Poplar Grove, IL (C77)
603-491-4175
ldjeffries@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
There is another option for the roll servo that was used in years past in the RV-6 before custom bracketry was offered from the autopilot vendors. The roll servo can be mounted at the wingtip and connected to the bellcrank with a pushrod. Here are some details from a RV-6A installation in the previous century.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/navaid.html

Thanks Sam. It looks like the wing tip may be the other option. My neighbor just finished his RV-8 and his roll is in the right wing, but there is a ton more room and inspection ports on the 8 than on the 4.
Building RV-4 #2593
Poplar Grove, IL (C77)
603-491-4175
ldjeffries@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2020, 07:15 AM

Default Not trying to change your mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2eat View Post
Thanks Freemasm. This looks like a nice setup but would affect the back seat footwells. I think I am going to have to either go to the wing, or the wing tip.
Understood. The Rocket fuses have a little more width than the 4s. That said, most foot heels aren't that wide so though an adaptation of your footwell might be an easy approach. Just letting you know an interesting option from a clever builder (not me). I'll probably have this as pictured and a bias servo on the opposite side. Best of luck
Old 09-16-2020, 07:17 AM

Default In stick well

Can easily be in the RV-4 stick well so won't interfere with passenger foot wells.

And the "bracket" attached to the stick weldment is very easy to make.

Finn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AileronServo1.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	2522  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020077.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	2523  

Last edited by FinnFlyer : 09-16-2020 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Changed to attached thumbnails
Old 09-16-2020, 07:20 AM

Default rv 4 roll autopilot

This is how I did mine. I have rear seat footwells. This photo is from gikonhome.blogspot.com. , a super build site from a British RV 4 builder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 7.59.42 AM.png
Views:	784
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	2521  
0 360 A1A Ellison throttle body
PMags
Trutrak Efis
Catto 3 Blade
FLYING