- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you use the IFR capability of your RV?
YES (file IFR) 236 72.84%
NO 88 27.16%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 AM

Default How many of you guys with IFR certified RVs use the capability?

When I first started my aircraft, I wanted a fully IFR bird. 2 radios (Nav/Com), VOR/LOC/Glide slope, GPS unit, EFIS, electronic engine monitoring, the works. My wings will be finished soon and I have been thinking about my ?mission?. I don?t know if a fully IFR bird is required any more. I am starting to lean towards the ?build it light and simple and get it in the air?.

So, if you have an IFR certified RV, could you tell me if you use the capability or not?
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:43 AM

I am building my 7 for IFR, and my plan is to use my 7 to get my IFR ticket.

Celebration, FL 34747 (just SW of Orlando)
RV7
Working on Fuselage
dues paid for 2012
Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 AM

AX, I'm in almost exactly the same place right now, and have been thinking exactly the same thing. I don't have an IFR rating, but want to get one. But making my plane fully IFR will add considerable cost to the project, and some time. Assuming I probably won't get aroudn to any IFR training in the first year of flying it anyway, now wondering if I would be better to build it VFR with a modular panel, pre-wiring and whatever else to make upgrading to IFR later much easier.

Would appreciate any tips on how to build the panel for rapid and easy upgradeability.
Ottawa, Canada
Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O
So, if you have an IFR certified RV, could you tell me if you use the capability or not?
I'm building a RV-10 and am quite aways from completion. My plans are to build it for IFR use. I do hold an IFR rating.

I tend not to fly hard IFR, but this past year since getting the rating, it sure has come in handy. No more scud running below the clouds. Just pop up on top, then back down at the destination.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:36 PM

Default I prewired

My 7a for IFR...Bought the trays but did not buy the audio panel or the GNS430.

Flew off the 40 hours, Purchased the audio and 430 and started IFR training.

Got my ticket back at Spring Break.

File IFR for almost every cross country since. In Oregen its just usually a lot easier to file becuse you have to cross mountains a lot of the time and clouds are a fact of life, even in Summer.

So my ticket has allowed me to make fligths even though its pretty rare for me to do approaches. Add to that, Class B airspace and TFRs become almost irrelavent.

But Winter is coming and that will be a different sory.

Frank 7a
Old 08-27-2007, 12:36 PM

I'd be curious to know the group's opinion. I'm planning to build or buy (and, if necessary, retrofit) an IFR RV, but am just beginning my IFR training. Since it adds significant cost (and some weight), my question is whether it will be that useful? I'm not sure that I will know until I've gotten my ticket and have flown IFR for a few years.

TODR
Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 PM

Just to clarify. I have my IFR ticket. So I don?t need to fly my RV to obtain the ticket. I just want to know how many people actually use their IFR instruments while flying their RV.
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.

Last edited by AX-O : 08-27-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_other_dougreeves
I'd be curious to know the group's opinion. I'm planning to build or buy (and, if necessary, retrofit) an IFR RV, but am just beginning my IFR training. Since it adds significant cost (and some weight), my question is whether it will be that useful? I'm not sure that I will know until I've gotten my ticket and have flown IFR for a few years.

TODR
Depends a lot on where you mostly fly and your trip leg lengths. Live in AZ? probably not worth it. On the other hand, I got my ticket specifically because I lived in ME and I had to cancel quite a few flights because of ceilings when I did not have it.

Also, flying trips of 200-400 NM East of the Mississipi can easily take you through patches that are IMC. The ticket and the equipment can the difference between having to cancel or delay, or not.

Also makes airspace management much simpler. Example, NC and SC are full of MOAs and restricted areas. File IFR and ATC coordinates clearance through these areas.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Another option

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_other_dougreeves

TODR
Like I did, buy the RV and do your training in that...Will save considerable dollars and that will be the airplane you fly anyway.

RV's are a handful but not impossible to learn instruments in...Just pull the power to 20"MP and 2400RPM (LOP) and it will plonk along at 100kts which is slow enough to give you thinking time but will also allow you to climb like a 152.

MY CFII..One day decided to "show me how to do it"..What a laugh he asked for 25"mp and I gave it to him (left hand throttle) ROP to boot....Well he got vectored all over creation while they tried to fit him in with all the other Cessnas and lets say his control of the airplane could have been better.

When he gave it back to me he said..."your right, this thing is a handful"....Aww shucks, and he just thought I couldn't fly worth a darn...

He'll be much better than me when he gets his 7a flying though I'm sure!

Frank
Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Just do it!

I built my 9A for IFR. Got the IFR rating while building. Finished in Mar. 07 and have used it about 5 times already. Each time I would have had to cancel or delay a flight, including coming back from OshKosh to Washington state this year.

I would not be without the capability.

RV9A. Built, flew 1000 hours, Sold

RV10 Built, flying 330 hours so far.

Central Oregon