Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_g View Post
how are you guys finding facilities to accept these? I can find orgs looking for home made masks, but I haven't found any accepting face shields or these
That's definitely a challenge... I lucked into hearing about the group I got hooked up with here in BC, Canada. We're organizing using Slack, and have a central couple of people who are managing the supply chain and tracking who has what inventory. When inventory gets to a high enough level, we arrange for someone to do a drive by and pick up all the inventory in an area.

Someone else is managing requests for product, and tells the delivery drivers where to go once they have them.

You might want to get in touch with a local makerspace, or maybe a community college that has 3D printers? I see many of those are involved in these initiatives around the world.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
as this is about freely supporting the community nobody should be using it as advertising space. Our group is asking printers to not apply branding.
The ones I am making are free to those using it, not to me (the one making them).

I am trying to help a little, and have some fun while I am at it. At the end of the day we are both helping and should do so however we feel is right. Just like the young man that got this particular project going.
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Steve, our group redesigned the ear saver to reduce print time to 6 minutes... I can do 7 in 42 minutes or 10 in an hour (depending on the layout, i'm having better success with the 7-item layout) on my Prusa Mk2.5.

Here's the pattern: https://github.com/bccovid-19/printf...small_V004.STL
thx, I'll take a look.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 04-11-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_g View Post
how are you guys finding facilities to accept these? I can find orgs looking for home made masks, but I haven't found any accepting face shields or these

My local hospital is taking all that I can print, done over 100 so far and got more on the printer now. I can print 14 at a time and it takes about an hour.
I am using ABS , 100% fill, .1mm resolution.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:39 PM

this design is good and prints faster. these are 60 minutes per board for me.

squeezed two more on the board

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 04-11-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
My local hospital is taking all that I can print, done over 100 so far and got more on the printer now. I can print 14 at a time and it takes about an hour.
I am using ABS , 100% fill, .1mm resolution.
my printer will be here tomorrow, I've wanted one awhile anyway. I've got a spool of PTFE coming, trying to keep the smell down. We'll see if I can make it print OK and then I'll make some calls. I'm working 5 on, 10 off and have been looking for things to do anyway
Old 04-12-2020, 03:57 PM

Default Update on Hudson's production line

Hudson has been busy keeping his printer running. Kristy (mom) got to work yesterday and some other groups had dropped lot of headbands at the hospital. The immediate demand there has been met.

I had been contacted by a doctor's office to get some of the bands so we will be dropping some by on Monday. Several of the primary care offices are still working seeing patients. A friend who owns a pharmacy requested another printed mask frame for his staff. Hudson will be cranking those out later today. I will see what else they need and Hudson can focus his production on the smaller medical facilities.

Our cousin works in a nursing home in Mobile and has requested some also. We sent a dozen out to her last week. We will get another fifty or so in the mail Monday to them.

Its great to see how quickly people come together to meet needs and solve problems!
I will be sporting my Vans logo mask strap tomorrow when I go back into the hospital for my shift. Proud of my kid and what he has done just because he wanted to do something to help.
Thanks to everyone. Stay safe and isolate!
Old 04-12-2020, 06:44 PM

Default Dentists can use these too.

Once we get past the medical crisis, keep in mind we will need to get the dentists back to work. We are shut down except for emergencies and due to the shortage of PPE, it will be risky getting even the emergencies taken care of. These can be used along with rubber bands to jerry rig some better masks and maybe get back to work sooner. Check with your dentist once the real docs are taken care of.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:44 PM

That's great to hear. Keep up the good work Hudson.
RV-12iS Empennage, Fuse, & Finish Kits #121228
N781PT Reserved
Donated 2020 (twice)
Old 04-12-2020, 09:44 PM

I've only got a little makerbot knockoff that only has room for 6 at a time but I've made about 150 over the last few days. I've got several doc friends here in Portland and these are a hit so far.
Inspection coming
2018/19/20 VAF dues paid