Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breister View Post
Iscrewdriver-type-thingy referred to as a Snoopy (because it looked like a profile of the cartoon dog).
OK! Help out us uninformed civilians...Who has a picture of a "snoopy" that they can post up??
RV-6 N506MM VAF #1410
2017 Donation Made
Old 02-23-2010, 03:22 PM

Default Another embarrassing call sign

Locally a CJ-6 was executing a forced landing on a golf course. Everything was going well until he has to swerve to miss a golfer standing there foolishly watching without the presence of mind to get out of the way. The swerve to avoid the bystander put the plane into a small building, the rest room destroying the airframe. You might guess this one, the pilots call sign now is "Crapper".
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Smile I'm guessing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjok View Post
OK! Help out us uninformed civilians...Who has a picture of a "snoopy" that they can post up??
...this Dzus fastener tool - the right hand one -

Is that correct?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 02-24-2010, 07:10 AM

Default Years ago...

...My late boss went out for some acro in a clipped-wing Cub they had. After a few doodads, the stick would not move rearward past center and he had a tough time getting it down...had to make a shallow, 50' high, 2 mile approach easing it down ever so gently with power and trim (in a Cub, the stab moves for trim) flying it on the ground.

After they popped the rear elevator horn inspection plate, a stainless steel Zippo cigarette lighter was jammed between the upper longerons at the fin post, acting as an elevator stop!

He chewed Hugh's butt, since he'd done some acro earlier and had lost his Zippo and didn't really look hard for it. Yep, Zippo stuck with him for a long, long time.

Best,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post

Is that correct?
Yup, that's it. Used to open the large, half moon shaped, avionics bay doors on the Eagle. Or you could use a dime and some strong fingertips if you were to darn lazy to walk the whole 12 feet over to the tool box.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post

Is that correct?
It's much nicer looking than the ones I remember (pretty blue plastic handle!) but yes, essentially that is it.

Being flat, it could easily be misplaced just about anywhere.

A Dzus fastener, for those not familier, is similar to our Camloc 1/4 turn fasteners. The military ones always had a straight slot (no phillips) and they could tell if they were "locked" because they would line up with the direction of flight (or as close as possible to that orientation).
Old 03-15-2020, 12:28 PM

Default Pilot Callsigns or 'Handles'

This is a fun thread that hasn't surfaced in a long while, & seeing as a lot of us will be lying low in self imposed virus quarantines soon, we may need a laugh.
I got this from a F-16 Callsign website:

The Three Rules of Callsigns
1- If you don't already have one, you will be assigned one by your "buddies".
2-You probably won't like it.
3-If you complain and moan too much about 1. and 2., you'll get a new nickname you'll like even less!
So, how do you get a callsign?
Do something stupid or have it fit with your last name. Obvious examples, 'Crash' or LT 'Cheese' Kraft. Sometimes it's based on a physical appearance thing like 'Carrot'. After you've earned the respect of your buddies, you'll get a more 'heroic' callsign.

How I got mine - 'Uncle Reco' A few years ago some folks from West Coast Ravens (with wives) came up to Canada for a flying vacation and put on a Formation Flight clinic for a few of us. At the last evening BBQ, it was deemed appropriate to dish out callsigns to us newbies. As I was designated driver for the wives, they felt 'Uncle Reco' was perfect as they were forced to ride in my van camper conversion (ugly is a gentle term to describe this thing) as referenced to one of the characters in the movie Napoleon Dynamite...

C'mon fess up!

Last edited by Ralph Inkster : 03-15-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
How I got mine - 'Uncle Reco' A few years ago some folks from West Coast Ravens (with wives) came up to Canada for a flying vacation and put on a Formation Flight clinic for a few of us. At the last evening BBQ, it was deemed appropriate to dish out callsigns to us newbies. As I was designated driver for the wives, they felt 'Uncle Reco' was perfect as they were forced to ride in my van camper conversion (ugly is a gentle term to describe this thing) as referenced to one of the characters in the movie Napoleon Dynamite...

C'mon fess up!
That was one of our favorite trips. My wife said your welcome for the callsign. Uncle Rico could throw a football clean across mountains back in 1982. He also had a sweet van.
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:13 PM

Default Sigmond

Back in the eighties, while in the Marine Corps, I became a certified hypnotherapist (for my own edification). Using hypnosis, I helped a number of people and, when things got slow in a class - I taught ground-based, long-range Radar systems - I would hypnotize a bunch of students.
SO, they dubbed me "Sigmond" (as in Sigmund Freud). That one's hung around for close to forty years now...
Old 03-15-2020, 11:38 PM

Default Foghorn

Army aviator buddies gave me this name in 1992. I guess I like to talk and I can be loud, especially after a few beers. I?ve toned it down in my middle age but I can still sound off if necessary.

Jeff...AKA..Foghorn
2020 dues paid