What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crunch !!!!

Chill

I think Marty is right. Give the guy a break. Its over. The cause will be determined and all thats needs to be learned will be available to everyone. John is not hiding the cause and waiting for someone to discover it...its not a witch hunt...its an accident. John has already admitted he screwed up...maybe we can help him out instead of trying to convince him he doesn't know whats he's doing. I, for three (two I guess with Larry and Marty) that think its time to end this thread. Don't moderators have the authority to do this. It is no longer a educational experience. Its a pile-on.

Thank you

I have followed this thread with great interest. I can not help but think that this could have been me, or any one of us. I'm not a high time pilot with 1000 hours in a RV-what ever. Almost all of my time has been in Cherokees. Nothing really happens fast in a Warrior. Yeah, it is less truck like than a 182, but it is not in the same league as any of Vans airplane. My 500 hours in a Pipers doesn't necessarily mean much for the first hour in an RV-12.
My RV-12 was signed off as airworthy last friday. Only problem is, I'm not. I have contacted Mike Seager for transition training. I should have done it sooner. I didn't even know who he wast until a couple of weeks ago.
I am sorry for you incident, but it did serve a purpose. I will not take the controls of my plane until I am sure that the plane, and I, are as ready as can be. Prior to reading your post I might have considered taking off on my maiden flight, less prepared than I will now.
Thank you for your candor. It would have been easier to keep quiet, and not let on about what occurred. It would have done you no good, let alone any of us. I hope all goes well with your rebuild, and next flight.

Thank you for your posting.

I think it would be valuable to keep this thread open until John reaches his conclusion.

Much can be learnt from it, I'm following with interest also.

The main thing is no-one was hurt.

You are missing the point of most of the post that are questioning this accident...My questions are just that questions about how the 12 is built, how it works and what would it do in certain situations.

Most people have no intentions of pounding a guy when he is down...The comments about transition training are valid regardless. We owe it to our community to advocate the use of transition training!!!!

John stated that he rolled out, the airplane pitched up 60° and he immediately applied full fwd stick and the plane continued to rare up, stalled and ended up busting the front end.

What else could John do? Not much I expect...

Was this caused by a trim tab that was not in the perfect place for takeoff? I doubt it since Larry did his own testing and determined that the plane is controllable when out of trim.

The real question here is why did this happen to John? With so many 12's taking first flights these days, I am sure many want to know this now rather than 6 months or more from now when the Feds make a final report.

It is clear that something was amiss and that something must be something that is easy to not notice or is confusing in some way or just different from what one would naturally think. If it is an out of place trim tab, there needs to be some stopgap in place immediately to prevent someone else from making this mistake!!

EDIT.....John stated in a PM that his stabilator/stick are correctly rigged......

I have asked a couple times and have got no response to my question about which way does the stabilator move in response to the stick???? Another poster already stated that it is possible to get the controls reversed since he did so and caught it on final inspection of the plane. Is this the case here? IDUNO but it is worth asking and if so, others will know to carefully check this out...

END of EDIT

Someone already mentioned above that this thread has served a great purpose in that it has caused someone to think twice about where they are in regards to being ready to take their bird on its first flight. If that is all this thread does, it will have served a great purpose!!!

I think Marty is right. Give the guy a break. Its over. The cause will be determined and all thats needs to be learned will be available to everyone. John is not hiding the cause and waiting for someone to discover it...its not a witch hunt...its an accident. John has already admitted he screwed up...maybe we can help him out instead of trying to convince him he doesn't know whats he's doing. I, for three (two I guess with Larry and Marty) that think its time to end this thread. Don't moderators have the authority to do this. It is no longer a educational experience. Its a pile-on.

Last edited:
JohnF you are to be commended for looking at this incident as a learning experience and for trying to help others. IMHO, Part of being a pilot is analyzing errors, mistakes, close calls, and coming up with solutions. Part of being a good pilot is letting others know about them so they may learn. This IMHO, is the essence of VAF. The input on your experience has been extremely valuable to many who are building the RV-12. Thank you.

Let me know when you are ready for your 2nd flight. I'd be honored to come over and assist you to get in the air anytime.

Last edited:
John F.,

How are you doing on the repairs? We're all out here pulling for you buddy! How about a status update.

John P.

Repairs to the Crunch

I am still waiting for the FAA to look at things before I start. I have already ordered the parts needed from Vans.

The lower firewall, the corners and bottom alongside and back of the lower firewall will be replaced, and rather than try to straighten some bends at the front of the two side pieces they will be replaced. A lot of drilling but nothing difficult. There is a fairly "clean" hole poked in the bottom of the tail cone that will need a simple patch. Servo to be replaced. New Prop. That's about it. Ordered 2,000 more LP4-3s. New lower cowl ordered too. Nothing on the engine was damaged, except a slight 'squash' of the exhaust pipe that can be easily put back in shape. Spinner, oil cooler, water radiator, all untouched.
Looks as if total will be just under $4K, somewhat less than I had expected.

Gear box will be sent in for a check, and a dial check made on the crank. Did the download from the Dynon to see if overspeed occured but that resulted in a "unintelligible data received" response. Will likely inspect valve push rods to see if any were bent and depending on that outcome will decide what, if anything further, will be done.

I fully expect to be operational within a few months at worst, depending on how much time I get to spend on the plane.

If you have further questions, please PM me.

Back