What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do you look for in a FBO?

celstar

Well Known Member
What does ever one like to see at the FBO? What makes you want to come back? Is it fuel prices, friendly people? Would like everyone input on what you look for in a great FBO?

What does ever one like to see at the FBO? What makes you want to come back? Is it fuel prices, friendly people? Would like everyone input on what you look for in a great FBO?

My answer would be different for x/c flights than local.

For x/c I look for:
- Runway in good condition
- Nice people running the show who don't seem mad you're not a turbine
- Decent gas prices. Doesn't have to be the cheapest in the area if the following are met
- 24 hour self serve 100LL. Mogas a bonus. Even if full service is available, many of us prefer to fuel our own RVs.
- Free tie downs. Even better if there's rope already there.
- Hangar space available for a fee. Community hangar is ok.
- Wi-fi.
- Food available. Bonus points if it's a step above "machine cuisine". A few hot pockets in a freezer on an honor system, and a nearby microwave can do wonders for a weary pilot.
- Courtesy car available.

For local I look for a restaurant on the field and that's about it. Most of my local flying is in pursuit of a $100 hamburger.

My answer would be different for x/c flights than local.

For x/c I look for:
- Runway in good condition
- Nice people running the show who don't seem mad you're not a turbine
- Decent gas prices. Doesn't have to be the cheapest in the area if the following are met
- 24 hour self serve 100LL. Mogas a bonus. Even if full service is available, many of us prefer to fuel our own RVs.
- Free tie downs. Even better if there's rope already there.
- Hangar space available for a fee. Community hangar is ok.
- Wi-fi.
- Food available. Bonus points if it's a step above "machine cuisine". A few hot pockets in a freezer on an honor system, and a nearby microwave can do wonders for a weary pilot.
- Courtesy car available.

For local I look for a restaurant on the field and that's about it. Most of my local flying is in pursuit of a $100 hamburger.

I think you nailed it!

Rental car

I don't know if you're just asking about the FBO itself, or the airport/FBO in combination. And I assume you're talking about a destination FBO, not one in your hometown.

For the FBO, I look for (in order of priority):

- RENTAL CAR AVAILABILITY and ease of access to same. Note: I'm usually on a business trip and it's important to get in/out efficiently. Having Enterprise available, but a $75 "delivery fee", or an hour to go get the car isn't good.

Best in class: McKinney Airport (TX - KTKI). Call ahead, reserve the rental car, and they will meet you on the ramp in the car. Throw your luggage in and you're off!

- manageable fuel prices but this isn't the only criteria
- ramp/overnight/tie-down or hangar fees, and whether or not the above-mentioned fees can be offset by fuel purchase
- friendliness/helpfulness
- hours of operation - are they open when I get there? when I want to depart?
- comfort of the lounge - much more important if I have friends/family with me
- availability of maintenance in case I need it

Intermediate stop on an XC:

• Cheap gas
  • Food nearby if I expect to be hungry

Final stop: all of the above plus:
  • Availability of courtesy or rental car, depending on the length of my visit
  • Not-too-horrible tiedown fees

All of those are assuming I'm going somewhere I've never been before. When I visit a place and those items are satisfied, and the people are friendly, nice, etc., that FBO immediately goes to the top of my list on the next trip.

As an example, when we flew up to OSH a couple years ago, I wanted a final fuel stop before hitting the arrival. I searched on Foreflight for somewhere at a good location and with cheap gas, and I settled on Watertown, WI. I got the cheap gas I wanted, but the staff there were amazingly hospitable. We were greeted like old friends, and it made such an impression on me that I'll definitely be going back.

Locally owned

I love stopping at small town airports and finding the FBO owner behind the desk or out in the hanger working on a plane. They're usually great to talk with and really love aviation; and, will often bend over backwards to help you if you need it. (I still feel like I'm getting away with something every time I use a ragged out courtesy car.)

I must admit; though, flying into a big town destination airport where they meet you with the golf cart and have your rental out on the parking lot is nice. Flew into Chesterfield Executive in Richmond last month and all the tie downs were under a foot of snow. The Dominion Aviation line man directed me to one of the hangers, and they charged me nothing for three days inside. And, when I departed they negotiated with the rental car company to make sure I wasn't charged more than had been agreed to for the car. How can you beat that?

Oh, and the food in the airport restaurant was outstanding, inexpensive and abundant. My Richmond friends had never eaten there, and added it to their favorites list.

John

Last edited:
Gas prices within the appropriate stopping locations for XC flights is pretty much the only consideration. Good food if I'm looking for a $100 hamburger.

I agree with all of the above but my "ideal" airport is one that is on the edge of town and a short walk takes you to food and lodgings.

Back