What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB engine control holes

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have a RV-8A with an Mattituck IO-360, AFP injection and the PCU-5000 governor. I am getting ready to install the engine mount and want to get as much done on the firewall as I can. I have eyeball pass thoroughs to attach and wondered if the pre-punched holes in the firewall will work for the throttle, prop and mixture contols.

Anyone with the same or simular set up I would like to hear what you did or did not do with these holes.

Cheers

QB firewall holes help!

Hey just bumping this up. Someone must have been down this road with an opinion on the compatibility of the holes for the engine controls in the QB kit.

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

Mike,
I have a IO-360 with forward facing bendix injection and used the stock holes and seem to work fine (not flying yet) with the control cables Vans supplied in the firewall forward kit. I know it is not the same setup as you but hopefully it will help.

Going ahead

Matt,

Thanks for the input, I am going ahead with the stock QB holes. I just drilled for the throttle and mixture eyeball. the outboard hole for the Prop would make the eyeball double interfere with the firewall support angle so I think I will ponder the prop cable location. I am not using the hole for the brake reservoir so that might make a better option for me.

Thanks for answering, seems odd that this post as sat so long with no replies. I did manage to find some information with some creative searches so I think the stock holes should work for me.

I really want to get the plane on the gear for pure emotional reasons but I am trying to get done what I can before putting on the engine mount.

Cheers

Hi Mike
I didn't have a pre-punched firewall so I'm not sure where those holes are located but this is how I ran my cables. I have a carb but the lengths that Vans call for worked out fine. Basically the cables all went straight forward and any curving was FWF.

f3giz8.jpg

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Firewall Control Holes

Hi Mike,

Like Paul, I also do not have a prepunched firewall, but I measured/planned very similar to what Paul did. My engine also has a forward-facing injector. Photos attached.

Good Luck!

Bill Palmer :)
RV-8A Still In-Work

firewallcontrols1.jpg

firewallcontrols2.jpg

firewallcontrols3.jpg

2 Heater Valves

Yes, two heat valves: one for front cockpit heat and/or windshield defrost; the second valve for rear cockpit heat (8A tandem seating).

Bill Palmer :)

Back