What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gap at top of cowling

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I am attaching my upper cowling and have gotten to the point of attaching the hinges to the cowling itself. I am concerned that even with a small gap as shown in the photo below, you can see the hinge through the gap. I did not see anywhere that the plans called out for spacing the hinge material away from the firewall to hide the hinge split. Did I read this correctly and will this go away when painted and become a non-issue? I am considering re-installing the hinge to offset the split....
Thanks
Bill

IMG_2315.jpg

Bill,

That gap is fine if not a tad too small. Once painted the few mils of paint will add to the skin and cowl edge. I've seen some gaps that are very wide. It looks like you did a good job of final fitting it. I would accept what you have there no problem. But as usual...my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it:D

If you get it too tight, the paint will chip around the edge. Just have the painter also paint the hinge and you will be fine.

Just to clarify. Is your concern with the gap size, or with seeing the hinge?
Gap size looks okay to me.
If it is about seeing the zipper like look of the hinge, you could offset the hinge toward the engine.

My concern is seeing the "zipper". I should have offset the hinge. The plans did not call for it. I attached my wingtips with hinges instead of screws, and I offset the hinges for that purpose. I wasn't thinking I guess and just followed the plans. I am hoping that when it all gets painted white, including the top of the hinge, it will not show

It is dark behind the zipper, and once painted will be fine. Mine has a little black soot from hinge wearing and high pressure air exiting through the zipper. Keep truckin. Once flying places, we'll never notice the small stuff. We'll have 400 of these babies in the air before long. I know Bob L. has to be getting close too.

Just looked at mine today. The hinges attached to the airframe are not offset. (The ones that join the two halves are offset) I do not really notice the zipper look on the firewall hinges. I would move on.

Back