What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Crush Washer

mattsmith

Well Known Member
Not sure if this should go here or in the glass panel side, but I need a crush washer for the oil temp sender for a Lycoming IO 360 A1A. I am putting a Dynon 5/8-18 UNF oil temp sensor in and cannot find a crush washer any were, tried Napa and a few other auto parts store with no luck. Does anyone have a good source and maybe a part #? Thanks Matt

Crush washer

Matt

It's an AN900-10

Try any aircraft maintenance place or aircraft spruce.

Cheers

Peter

PS if you do a search on this you will find a few issues others have had with the sender. You need to make sure the washer is centred when you tighten it and only tighten it hand tight plus 135 degrees.

Matt,
Copper sealing washers [aka crush washers] can be found at your local bearing supply house or your local Harbor Freight store. HF sells a nice assortment of these sealing washers.
FYI, copper sealing washers can be reused, via a process called annealing. Basicly, you need to heat the old washer cherry red [use a propane torch] and drop it [while still red] into cold water. This will soften the copper, to reverse the work hardening that occurs when it gets crushed. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(metallurgy)

Charlie

Matt,
Copper sealing washers [aka crush washers] can be found at your local bearing supply house or your local Harbor Freight store. HF sells a nice assortment of these sealing washers.
FYI, copper sealing washers can be reused, via a process called annealing. Basicly, you need to heat the old washer cherry red [use a propane torch] and drop it [while still red] into cold water. This will soften the copper, to reverse the work hardening that occurs when it gets crushed. See

Charlie

Careful! AN900 are asbestos washers wrapped in copper. They can not be reused and cannot be annealed like a solid copper washer. They are one time use only. Also, they do not get torqued, but instead tightened a certain number of degrees after contact depending on size. The size on the oil screen gets turned 135?, but I don't know the value for this smaller -10 size.

To be clear, I don't know what the correct washer is for your application, but I do know you can't anneal or reuse fiber crush washers. (AN900)

Matt,

Charlie

I tried the link and couldn't get anything, but I though annealing did not include quench, just a slow air-cooling. Quenching it would cause hardening, wouldn't it?

Quenching it would cause hardening, wouldn't it?
I think copper is different than other metals in that it just doesn't harden much from rapid cooling, compared to work hardening. I always slow cool plug gaskets. The AN901 is the solid gasket everyone's thinking of. They are solid metal. Different thing from AN900/MS35769.

Careful! AN900 are asbestos washers wrapped in copper. They can not be reused and cannot be annealed like a solid copper washer. They are one time use only. Also, they do not get torqued, but instead tightened a certain number of degrees after contact depending on size. The size on the oil screen gets turned 135?, but I don't know the value for this smaller -10 size.

To be clear, I don't know what the correct washer is for your application, but I do know you can't anneal or reuse fiber crush washers. (AN900)

Guy is correct regarding his warning about trying to re-use an asbestos filled sealing washer. The asbestos filled washers are easy to spot, as they have a seam on them. You can only anneal solid copper washers. Solid aluminum washers can be annealed, but it is more difficult to do, as aluminum does not change color [give a visible warning] as it approaches it's melting point.
Charlie

I tried the link and couldn't get anything, but I though annealing did not include quench, just a slow air-cooling. Quenching it would cause hardening, wouldn't it?

John,
Sorry that the link did not work for you. Try going to the Wikipedia main page at

www.wikipedia.org

Type in annealing in the search box. That is how I arrived at the link I posted previously.

The effect of dropping a heated metal into a liquid depends on the metal and the liquid that it is cooled in.

Charlie

Last edited:
Back