What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl Half hinges

mattsmith

Well Known Member
I am fitting the two cowl halves together, the directions say to let the hinge ride up in the back, can someone explain what this means. I've added a picture of what I have with letting the hinge fall naturally into place. Looking at the picture from left to right, the eyes of the hinge on the left (back) are below the horizontal line of the lower cowl and to the right (front) the hinge is flush with the horizontal cowl line. Is this rite?

2likmsn.jpg

We always order a wider hinge and take it apart, use the wider flange for the bottom cowl and raise the hinge so that the loops will be hidden behind the upper cowl. This leave a smooth paintable area on the hinge, stronger support for the lower cowl and a better finished product look when painted.

you have the right idea

But go the other way, instead of having the hinge higher in the front, lower in the back, make the hinge higher in the back, lower in the front. This will make the top cowl a little easier to get on and off. And as Reiley said, getting a wider hinge for the bottom and riding it up so you can paint it does help looks wise. BTW, the tube electrical taped to the oil dipstick tube, what is that for?

Randy
8A flying

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I will see about getting a wider flange for the bottom.

The electrical tap is sealing the clear tube coming from the homebrew dehydrator.
Thanks again for the help.

Back