What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio stack

mattsmith

Well Known Member
Hello,
Hope everyone had a good X-mass.
I started installing my panel and I have a question. In the radio stack I have from top to bottom
340 audio panel
XL 250
SL 40
327 transponder
I have one angle riveted to the panel and one angle screwed to the rear most holes that will still line up with all the trays. The SL 40 tray is by far the deepest and is about a half inch above the subpanel support. so the question is if I support just the SL 40 tray to the subpanel will that be enough for the rest of the stack?
Thanks Matt

Below are the links to the pictures.
http://img18.imageshack.us/i/hpim0830.jpg/
hpim0830.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/i/hpim0831f.jpg/
hpim0831f.jpg

Last edited:
Eyeball engineering suggests that it look OK to me. It's not like you're hanging a heavy 430 on there!

Access Door

Matt,

I'd seriously consider installing a door in the forward cargo compartment's aft wall. It will give you access behind the panel to all those goodies you are installing.

zlddoh.jpg

Danny,
I am installing two 7" sky view panels vertical in the middle of the panel the hole is 11" X 6.5", do you still think I should install the access in the sub panel? the sky view doesn't use trays just 4 screws and there out.

Skyview

Danny,
I am installing two 7" sky view panels vertical in the middle of the panel the hole is 11" X 6.5", do you still think I should install the access in the sub panel? the sky view doesn't use trays just 4 screws and there out.

Matt

I've got the Skyviews and when the time comes for upgrades, I plan on taking out both panels and working through the holes. That and the old laying on the back routine. Time will tell.

Laying on your back and working up under the panel really doesn't work on an -8. Better to have the access doors (like Danny), or make the entire panel easily removable. Yes, I do perform maintenance behind th panel by taking out the EFIS displays, and this is quite handy, but the radio stacks and instruments on either side make me feel like a dentist working through the patient's mouth. Most often, I just pull the panel, which takes about five minutes.

Think Easy Maintenance

Danny,

It's not hard to make an access door, then you would have it if necessary. Believe me, you do not want to be upside down under an RV-8 panel.

While your at it, make an access panel directly above your rear mounted battery, so the battery can be removed and replaced without removing a single aft cargo panel. (You did place the battery in the rear, right?)

Some have even built and access panel in the floor of the forward cargo compartment to access the brakes. Think easy maintenance! I can't tell you how many times I have used all of the above in the last ten and a half years. Check tread below.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23825&highlight=rv8+rear+battery+access+door

Last edited:
Access Panel

Listen to the VansAirforce Guru's!!
Danny and Paul

I also installed an instrument panel access panel and it works very well. Make sure that the screw spacing is adequate for proper strength. A full access panel (full length of the panel) works best.

Dana

Actually I cut the access panel and have it all clecoed in the plane. Waiting for a few rivets that I don?t have to complete the mod. I will post another pic when done. I didn?t think I needed to do it but like you said better listen to the experts.

Back to the original question, if I support the SL40 tray will this support be enough for the other radios in the stack?
Thanks Matt

Back