camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-15
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeOps View Post
Folding wing option, maybe ?
This is actually one of the hot topics of debate in discussing future plans for the Glasair Sportsman - to keep the folding wings or ditch them. Those who have used them, often in potentially dire circumstances, believe they are a critical part of the design. Those who have never used them believe the feature is excess "fluff".

Given the kind of weather which narrowly missed KOSH last night, having the ability to fold wings and get the airplane into what may be limited hangar space to avoid hail or other damage makes folding wings a real winner for me. Plus many builders say they would not have been able to build in reduced-size workshops had it not been for the folding wings.

As for the strut, if placed like it is on the Sportsman it truly isn't an issue and one appreciates having an extra place for helping hands to push the airplane over rough ground. And believe me, we all want the RV15 to be capable of operating in and around rough ground!

As for manual flaps, one of the complaints against the GlaStar was its fairly high flap deployment forces. I've never found it to be a problem because I've never tried to deploy them at Vfe - it's easy to get the airplane slowed down another few knots, then deploy the flaps. The Sportsman flaps are of a different design than those of the GlaStar. They feature a 90kt Vfe versus 80kts on the GlaStar. At any speed below 90kts they deploy easily - I normally just use two fingers under the johnson bar. I mention this difference because getting flap design correct is critical to pilot perception of flap performance.

Oh, I should mention that manual flaps are a key element of one of the best features of the GlaStar/Sportsman. For a short field takeoff one can leave the flaps fully up, wind up the engine, release brakes and keep the airplane in a low drag configuration. As soon as we see 40kts roll by on the ASI, grab the johnson bar and yank it all the way up, deploying full flaps. The airplane comes off the ground and climbs nearly flat, like a helicopter hover-up. Now milk the flaps up as forward speed is gained. The degree of control available through johnson-bar-actuated flaps is a real performance differentiator in back-country operations.

Last edited by Canadian_JOY : 07-29-2021 at 01:05 PM. Reason: One more thought...
Old 07-29-2021, 02:04 PM

Here's my wish list:

- Struts with brackets that support accessories (mountain bikes / cargo pods / removable fuel tanks) - (1 per side)
- Folding wing (no hangars here in PHX and too expensive to buy)
- Long range tanks (50+ gal)
- Removable doors
- Dual brake caliper option for max braking
- Cargo access door (think Sportman 2+2 style)
- 27.5" tire compatibility
- 130kt TAS with t/o roll <600ft
- 48-50" wide cabin side-by-side (wife will next fly behind me)

Basically my custom Zenith but with Vans precision and speed.

Reserved: N67LJ [11323] - Zenith 750 [In Progress]
N67LJ RV9-A [90504] - SOLD
N83LJ Sonex [0864] - SOLD

https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/

Last edited by jjbardell : 07-29-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:23 AM

My RV9A can do mild bush stuff on wheels. What I would like to have in a 15 are skis and floats options. ... And pulled rivets

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:49 AM

Default Wish list

2+2 seating
Reasonable cruise ~145kts +/-
Wide cabin, 48-50
NO STRUTS
NOT rotax powered

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 07-30-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
My RV9A can do mild bush stuff on wheels. What I would like to have in a 15 are skis and floats options. ... And pulled rivets
And made out of 6061T6 so you can polish it.....
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 07-30-2021, 11:27 AM

Default Sportsman 2+2 features...

Canadian Joy hit on some of the major strong points of the Glasair Sportsman 2+2. The wing strut behind the front doors is good for giving something to grab and having the strut behind the door makes getting in and out of the aircraft easy. Plus on float planes, you usually have to stop the engine, jump out on the float, and run to the front of the float to catch the plane from hitting the dock. Yeah, there's more aerodynamic drag with wing struts. But you usually end up with a lighter aircraft and no "carry thru" spar in the cockpit.

Another strong point on the Sportsman is the ability to switch between a tricycle, tailwheel, or float landing gear. The Sportsman allows you to do that relatively easily. The comment about "popping" the manual flaps is a good one. This technique is also used for float flying.

As far as a TW version, I would seriously recommend the T3 tailwheel as an option for the RV-15. Once you've flown with a T3 tailwheel, you'll never want to go back to the standard TW.

As far as a cargo door is concerned, one thing I don't like about the Sportsman "cargo" door is you can't open it with the flaps down. The door interferes with the flap trailing edge. This can be a concern with landing on water since you usually land with full flaps and if you have a mishap on landing, the person in the back seat might not be able to exit the aircraft. And as far as the size of the cargo door, the bigger the better. Look at the cargo door they have on Maules and Bearhawks. Yeah baby!!!

I also second the comment about large, removable inspection panels. It makes maintenance SO much easier!! I also agree with the comment about extra long-range fuel tanks. With extra fuel capacity, you have the option of either lots of fuel or lots of cargo. Your choice. The tip tanks on the Sportsman are nice since they are used to fill the main tanks. There's no problem pumping the tip tanks "dry" since they don't directly feed the engine. One more thing to note here. The Sportsman has small "header" tanks in it. This is to make sure you don't starve the engine of fuel if you're doing a hard slip on landing with low tanks. Yeah, it has a "Both" feature on the tanks, but the header tanks make sure you have some fuel if you end up uncovering a fuel pickup on landing.

And on a completely different note, maybe after Van's introduces the RV-15 they could get into the kit "float" business. Aluminum float design would be an natural for Vans since the design of aluminum floats is very similar to that of aircraft designs.

I hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 07-30-2021, 01:27 PM

An all-metal tandem high-wing with aerobatic capability and faster cruise than a decathlon would really excite my wife. Can't count the number of times she's inquired about "can we buy a citabria?"

I think there's a serious hole in the market for an aerobatic capable light-sport, but the timing doesn't work out for LSA development with MOSAIC scheduled for 2023.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:05 PM

I love the idea of a wide cabin (48" - 50"). I'd gladly trade top-end cruise for that. Also, the sturts lower mounting point behind the front door.

Bob

Subscription Paid for 2021

Home is where the hanger is...
Old 07-30-2021, 02:09 PM

I understand the benefits of the strut behind the door. However, my non-RV has the strut in front of the door and that does a decent job of blocking the prop.

Something to consider.

Dave
Old 07-30-2021, 05:47 PM

Shutting down solves that problem.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID