Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 10-12-2022, 11:24 AM

Default Flight Panel

My panel is done, ready for first flight

I was impressed with how much light the led strip on the glare shield throws onto the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77CFD998-692F-4ADD-A409-5A0AB083629D.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	32132  

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2023, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
To Go: wing mounting, engine baffles, wing tips, move to airport
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 10-12-2022, 12:17 PM

Default Super cool

Great job John. On my g3x fuel calibration I was fooled by “in flight” and/versus” on the ground” calibration. Next time for my level nose-wheel tri-gear plane I will only use in flight and fill in one gallon increments on each tank to get it as accurate as possible (the on ground is really for tail wheels). I called garmin and they agreed I could skip the on the ground calibration for the A model. Just maybe raise the tail a couple inches to get the most accurate “in flight” calibration. Looking great.
Cal
Old 10-13-2022, 09:59 PM

Default Calibration

Can I calibrate the fuel tanks with water?
I can do that in my hangar.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Old 10-14-2022, 09:00 AM

Default Ideas for consideration

HI John -

My panel is similar to yours, but yours is nicer. Here are a few configuration ideas to consider...
* The parameter bar can show all kinds of neat navigation data. Don't waste that space with too many frequencies! I have the GTN comm frequencies on the left screen so I can use database tuning or key pad tuning -- both of which I only occasionally do. I doubt that you'll need those features for both of your comm radios.
* I put the GTN NAV frequencies on the left end of the right screen. At my home field, with two ILSes, this makes it super easy to swap them.
* Not sure why you've got transponder both on the GTN and the PFD.
* On the PFD, note that there is lots of unused space to the left of the airspeed and to the right of the vertical speed. For this reason, I fly with split screen almost all the time, so that whatever else I want to see can be half screen, not inset window.
* On the MFD, notice that almost all of the information is contained in the center of the screen. If the MFD goes to split screen, you can move that most useful information to the left, where it will be more readable. You can also use the other half screen for whatever, although it will be far away.
* On my plane, I put an additional set of engine instruments on the right side of the MFD, so that the right seater has a readable set. The theoretical downside is that if the left screen fails, those engine instruments are far away. Like I said, theoretical.
* The G3X already has programmable low voltage and Hobbs functions. Not sure why you duplicated those. Good to see you have an IDENT button, that will probably be handy.

I've probably got some details wrong from not reading the photo correctly, but you get the idea.

Be well!

Ed
Old 10-14-2022, 10:15 AM

Default Thank you

Ed,
Thank you for the post, it is very helpful.
I was going to wait till first flight to configure my screens, but I will do the changes you recommended. It would be nice to start flight test with a configuration that works for other, more experienced pilots.

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Old 10-14-2022, 10:20 AM

Default Water for tank calibration

I don’t know. Using avgas was a hassle in the hanger- I read Dan H’s and other warnings about causing hanger fires if you don’t ground your fill/drain 5 gallon jugs. For the brief time water would be in the tank I doubt it would hurt. You are supposed to flush the system several times with avgas anyway. You would have to make sure you keep sumping for water for a bit. Not sure if anyone in the brain trust has tried this.
Cal
Old 10-14-2022, 02:02 PM

Nice panel. It seems to be similar to my configuration, but for some reason I have a lot more switches.

I'm curious about your thoughts on having a separate Hobbs. The G3X has some engine timer capability so I'm curious about your thoughts on the need for a separate meter. I had a conversation with Draker about this and I realized I didn't have a separate Hobbs, but I could easily add one. I'm curious if this just something you are used to or if there is actually a shortcoming of depending on the G3X.
Sensenich Composite 3 Blade Propeller
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 10-14-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
Can I calibrate the fuel tanks with water?
I can do that in my hangar.
Water is 40 percent more dense than gasoline implying the float on the sender would ride higher in the water than gas at the same level.
IO360-M1B
Hartzell Composite CS
Phase 1 complete 10/29/22
KAJO
Old 10-14-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
Water is 40 percent more dense than gasoline implying the float on the sender would ride higher in the water than gas at the same level.
Yes you are correct, but higher based on the mass of the float as compared to water it displaces to support it. I dont think that will matter unless the air is absolutely smooth and my tank gauges are trying to measure 0.1 gallons. So I am going to go ahead and calibrate with water; I will check the accuracy once I get to the airport.

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Old 10-14-2022, 03:35 PM

Default Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_ascent View Post
Nice panel. It seems to be similar to my configuration, but for some reason I have a lot more switches.

I'm curious about your thoughts on having a separate Hobbs. The G3X has some engine timer capability so I'm curious about your thoughts on the need for a separate meter. I had a conversation with Draker about this and I realized I didn't have a separate Hobbs, but I could easily add one. I'm curious if this just something you are used to or if there is actually a shortcoming of depending on the G3X.
The Hobbs on the dash gives me a way to check how many hours my son or daughter "borrowed" my plane for, without me having to fire up the G3X.

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go