I glued on the windscreen and aft canopy skirt with Sikaflex; This went as planned with no real drama.
I am working on the cowling now. I have the new nose gear, so the bottom is attached not with hinge material, but rather with screws into a plate. The sides and top still use the hinges.
I decided long ago that I would get the cowling and baffling done before putting the plane on the gear. So far the plan is working out well.
Today I drilled the bottom attachment screws 1/8" for cleco's. I will up drill for the 8-32 screws once every thing fits.
I found getting the front of the top and bottom sections trimmed and fitted was the secret to making the rear part line up correctly.
Attached is a picture of how I used a bottle jack to push everything into position to drill the bottom screw holes. Having the plane on a low stand, and not on the gear, really paid off.
I just need to do final trim on the fuse sides and the cowling sides, then install the hinges.
I will probably finish the baffles, the flap motor, elevator control linkages, and all the stuff inside before putting it on the gear.
It is starting to fell like a real airplane in pieces, just ready for some Krazy Glue and baking soda to finish up.
WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.
Dues paid 2023, worth every penny
98% done, 2% left to go
To Go: wing mounting, engine baffles, wing tips, move to airport
Last edited by PilotjohnS : 09-24-2022 at 09:25 PM.