camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2009, 01:23 PM

Default Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted RV8 View Post
If I remember correctly I was told the tires design application was for downhill skateboard use.

Hardly the same criterea for an airplane tailwheel!
Been wondering about that myself. My guess is that the Matco supplied tire has some of the wrong attributes to be a tailwheel. The softer rubber and aggressive tread would serve you well on a skateboard or kid's scooter. On the tail of an airplane I suspect that it "sticks" a little too well, causing tire damage and failure. The Van's supplied tailwheel is a harder compound and lacks tread. When really pressed, it will slide before it hurts itself. Chuckwn mentioned having an issue with the tailwheel "pin," could it be that the damage was caused by a higher than designed side load generated by the new tire?

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA
Old 03-22-2009, 03:56 PM

Default check the pressure weekly

Like I said earlier in this thread, the air volume in these things is tiny and therefore need weekly refilling. Also, because they have so little volume, inflating is a little tricky. I use a gas station-style inflator with hose and built-in gauge, which I got from Harbor Freight for $10 on sale and have pretty good control over how much air goes in. Without that, it would be difficult to get accurate results. Just checking the pressure with a pencil-type gauge lets about 5 psi out of the thing!

I have around 35 hours on mine and like the way it works. The bearings are lightyears better than the stock Van's units and it weighs less.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, 233 hours
Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 PM

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/sto...roducts_id=183

Our solid rubber tread tailwheel tire is about 6 oz. lighter than the Van's type tire, has trouble free, maintenance free sealed bearings and several hundred are out in the field with no problems. Why mess with the others? This one works!
1-888-F1AIRCRAFT (1-888-312-4727)
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold in 1994, purchased in 2018
Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 AM

Default How about 7"

I just got off the phone with Matco, and they have an un-listed wheel/tire combination, a 7" x 1.75:
WHEEL: WHLTW37 (3.7" diameter bead seat)
TIRE/TUBE: TIRT7X1.75 (gray in color)

George at Matco told me that this tire has much better volume than the little T6P (that everyone has been discussing).

Does anybody have any experience with this item? It does NOT fit the standard Van's fork, but it might fit an after-market fork. I have a Flyboy's fork on order, so I'll make some measurements....

I've been flying the 8" Matco tire/wheel on a custom Flyboy's fork - but it's a bit heavy and long, so I'm still experimenting.

G.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 PM

Talking Soaring at low speeds

Wondering if anyone has found a more durable source of tires to fit the pneumatic tailwheel. I have tried the 6" and the 8" Matco pneumatic tailwheels on my RV6 which are nice and smooth and feel like Iam "soaring at low speeds" The problem is the tire wear isn't very good and worse the tubes like to go flat even when closely monitoring tire pressures. It would be great to find a new source.

Cheers Jeremy
Old 09-17-2021, 06:43 PM

What is the bore and hub length of the stock tire?

2022 Carbon Cub FX3 Amphibian Gerridae ON ORDER
2015 Gunter Malich RV8 El ZunZun
2005 Cessna C182T G1000 Alexandra
West Central Florida
Old 09-17-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrazier View Post
http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/sto...roducts_id=183

Our solid rubber tread tailwheel tire is about 6 oz. lighter than the Van's type tire, has trouble free, maintenance free sealed bearings and several hundred are out in the field with no problems. Why mess with the others? This one works!
Yep, got one on our 8. Smooth ride and zero issues. I wouldn't go back to the solid tire.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:47 AM

While working on the tailwheel of El ZunZun, normal checks, lube, preventative maintenance, I decided to install the pneumatic tire, tube, wheel and fork that came along with the plane when I purchased her. The solid tire has always seemed harsh especially on some of the poorly maintained runways I seem to encounter. The pneumatic tailwheel assembly is way more better! Taxiing and take off are the biggest differences. No more dunt, dunt, dunt, across the tar snakes. Better directional control at taxi and take off speeds. I recognize the clean and newly lubed assembly account for some of the improvement.

I did finish cleaning up and lubing the solid tire assembly and will carry it and a 3/4 inch wrench until I get some experience with the pneumatic tire. Don't want to be left stranded alone!

West Central Florida
Old 09-19-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.roser View Post
While working on the tailwheel of El ZunZun, normal checks, lube, preventative maintenance, I decided to install the pneumatic tire, tube, wheel and fork that came along with the plane when I purchased her. The solid tire has always seemed harsh especially on some of the poorly maintained runways I seem to encounter. The pneumatic tailwheel assembly is way more better! Taxiing and take off are the biggest differences. No more dunt, dunt, dunt, across the tar snakes. Better directional control at taxi and take off speeds. I recognize the clean and newly lubed assembly account for some of the improvement.

I did finish cleaning up and lubing the solid tire assembly and will carry it and a 3/4 inch wrench until I get some experience with the pneumatic tire. Don't want to be left stranded alone!
What wheel/tire/fork did you use? Any pics?

Brian
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Old 09-20-2021, 04:25 AM

https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/1152.htm

Unfortunately I see they are out of stock . . . .

West Central Florida