Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2009, 04:24 PM

Default Call Matco

If you call Matco direct they will sell you one. As I recall I couldn't find it on their website either.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:30 AM

Default I had a flat once...

I had a flat once with a Maule tail wheel on my Luscombe and didn't know it until landing roll out. It got my attention. I taxied up to the FBO very slowly, but found they had no on field maintenace and no one had tube repair kit either. I weighed my options and decided I had to get back home, so I taxied out very slowly once again with full forward stick. This made the flat a lot less noticable. I held the brakes and applied throttle. The tail came up, I slowly released the brakes, and off I went with the tail up. I flew back to my home field and was apprehensive about the landing, but decided that if I did it on pavement at the previous airport, surely I can land at mine on grass. I did a fairly respectable wheel landing and held the tail off as long as possible then taxied back to the hanger again with full forward stick. It really turned out to be a non event. However, as others have said, carrying a spare would be a good idea.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:37 AM

mt bikers can change a flat in less than 2-3 minutes. I bet something like this tailwheel could be changed in under 10 minutes if it does go flat and you have a spare tube. I wonder if a small pony bottle of air could be carried, or even a CO2 tank- like for paintball. you could have 2 pounds of liquid CO2 in a 8 or 12 oz tank, and a direct attach fitting for under 5 pounds and you'd never run out of air with that thing.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:31 AM

Default Quicker fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7 View Post
mt bikers can change a flat in less than 2-3 minutes. I bet something like this tailwheel could be changed in under 10 minutes if it does go flat and you have a spare tube. I wonder if a small pony bottle of air could be carried, or even a CO2 tank- like for paintball. you could have 2 pounds of liquid CO2 in a 8 or 12 oz tank, and a direct attach fitting for under 5 pounds and you'd never run out of air with that thing.
Way too involved, just take some starting fluid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSYGv...eature=related

Do not try this at home!

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA
Old 03-21-2009, 02:15 PM

i liked this one better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GN...eature=related

waiting for a darwin award for this method
Old 03-22-2009, 12:03 AM

Default My Matco Experience

12/6/06 - 1035 hours

With spacers and axle sleeve it cost $95 plus $10 shipping to the door.

Installation: The only tricky part is it uses a 1/2" axle instead of the 3/8" axle use with the Van's wheel. I did not want to drill out the fork to 1/2" for two reasons. 1) In case the Matco wheel did not work out, 2) So the towbar would still fit over the bolt end and nut.

To solve this problem, some 3/8 ID - 1/2" OD bushing material was purchased from Aircraft Spruce (P/N 03-16900). A bit of work is required on the bushing to get the axle through it and to get it to fit in the sleeve supplied by Matco. Also, some AN960-8 regular and light washers were needed to get the width to match the fork because the spacers provided were not quite wide enough.

The Van's wheel has a diameter of about 5-5/8" while the Matco wheel is 6". The Matco tire BARELY fits in the fork. But is does fit. I have done five landings with no rubbing so far.......

Observations:

* Looks Cooler
* About One pound Lighter
* Has high quality sealed bearings
* Tire and tube can be replaced for $16 + shipping

Update 5/4/07 - 1087 hours

The Good-----

The new tailwheel is working out well. It rides and handles better that the Vans unit.

The Bad-----

I suspect, however, the tire life will not be nearly as good as the solid Vans tailwheel. If this one last more than 250 hours it will be a shock. The Vans tire lasted over 1000!

The new wheel does seem a bit light duty for the task, especially when the plane is heavily loaded. Matco publishes a spec. of 660lbs static load and a 1980lb load limit. Hope not to pinch the tube and have a flat somewhere out in the sticks......

The Ugly----

In the tailwheel there is a little pin that comes out to keep the tailwheel engaged with the rudder. It seems to have worn out allowing the tailwheel to caster during landing and takeoff. This can make for some exciting ground handling characteristics! This was discovered at the rather windy and gusty Lee Vining California (O24). As a temporary field fix, the pin was flipped inverted until a new one arrives. New pins can be had from Vans for $6.51. Part number WD-102C.

Update 4/27/08 - 1223 hours

My suspicions about the durability of the little tire came to fruition. After a landing in Yearington Nevada (the middle of nowhere) enroute to a vacation in Steamboat Colorado, I discovered a flat tailwheel. The tube had been pinched. I chocked this up carrying a heavy load and perhaps to a slightly under inflated tire. It was Friday morning, what to do.....
I decided to fly with the flat. It would require two landings until we could repair the tube. As fortune would have it, Matco is located in Salt Lake City, Utah so we could stop by on the way home and buy (and install) a new tube. They were very helpful and accommodating and even gave us the factory tour. The tire was destroyed by the two landings but the wheel was fine. All fixed up with an extra tube in had, all was well again, for now....

Fast forward to our trip to Baja. We were returning and encountered a VERY strong crosswind at San Felipe, a required stop to depart Mexico. The landing and departure went ok, but on arrival at Calexico to clear US customs, there it was again, a flat tailwheel tire. That sealed the deal, back to the industrial caster supplied with the kit. It's too bad because the little tire handled much better than the solid tire and looked great too. Further research revealed the tire is only rated to 250lbs. No wonder!

Typical Baja View

Old 03-22-2009, 11:24 AM

I wonder if the foam they fill tractor tires will give the best of both worlds. While the tires will be solid, they won't be as hard as the solid rubber stock and will not go flat.

Anyone have any experience with the tire foam?
formerly IO-360A3B6D, Dual SDS CPI now, WW 200RV
Old 03-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Default Light bike tools for your tool kit

Examples of normal tools carried by cyclists:
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCate..._200315_200315

and
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCate..._200315_200315

and a patch kit
http://www.nashbar.com/images/nashba...BS-NCL-TOP.jpg
Old 03-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuds2 View Post
Examples of normal tools carried by cyclists:...
The only problem with these tools is that in my experience, the reason a tail wheel goes flat is the pilot takes off with an under inflated tail wheel. Upon landing the tire spins up quickly, cutting the valve stem in the wheel. Thus you really need a new tube.

What have the rest of you experienced?

BTW, I'm sticking with the Van's hockey puck tail wheel because I don't like messing with flats.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 03-22-2009, 12:47 PM

Default Tire rating

If I remember correctly I was told the tires design application was for downhill skateboard use.

Hardly the same criterea for an airplane tailwheel!