Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 05:38 PM

Default RV-8 Pneumatic Tailwheel Mod

I installed my new Bell Tailwheel conversion and I installed a Matco Pneumatic tailwheel on also. A couple of photos are attached.

I flew the airplane this afternoon and it is really smooth and quiet compared to the hard rubber tire. This might not be for everybody but I am going to try it and see how I like it.

Last edited by n38139 : 01-24-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:17 PM

I asked the question here a few months ago about who's installed a Matco tailwheel and never got any replies. So, I installed one a couple of weeks ago and it is indeed smoother than the stocker. It is a bit harder to steer on the ground, but it's not a problem. The only problem with this unit is that there is very little air volume in the tube and that makes it a bit tricky to get the pressure correct. Also, due to the small air volume, you have to add air almost weekly. The bearings are light years better than Van's unsealed P'sOS.

Heinrich Gerhardt
Old 01-24-2009, 06:32 PM

A friend of mine installed one on his 8 and really loved it, but... With the small volume of air in it it stranded him one day.

After coming out from a $100.00 hamburger and proceeding to leave he realized the tailwheel had gone flat and was not safe to fly.

Luckily there was another 8 builder on the airport and loaned him stock Van's one to get home.

I would suggest you carry your old stock one with you as a spare just in case.

I purchased one of the Matco wheels also and haven't put it on yet. I monitered it for a while and it does steadily and regularly loose air.

I wonder if it could be filled with some gel or something like they do with mountain bike tires. If it would still remain as smooth rolling it might be a good solution.

Just as a note, my friend has not put the Matco wheel back on yet.

Ted
Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Default Tailwheel Mod

Well, I have had a pneumatic tail wheel tire on my Cessna L-19 for 14 years. I will admit that it does require servicing but for me, that is no issue. I always carry a spare wheel/tire and bicycle pump in my L-19. I will also carry my old hard rubber tire in my 8. This mod may not be for everybody but I like the ride and unless it is totally unreliable I will keep it.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Default Leaky Fix

Tire Slime
RV7
Wire/Elec Phase
Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRV7 View Post
Tire Slime
Yeah and if you get the one from walmart it has a 12v air compressor. I use one for my car and hand dollies (I deliver to BK/Chik-Fil-A) .

Dave
Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 PM

Steve keep us posted on the reliability. I bought one of these recently for my Rocket and am hoping that flats are few and far between. I've been thinking about filling it up with Tire Slime as well.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:18 PM

Default tubes??

Do these Matco pneumatic tires have tubes in them or could tubes be added to make them even more reliable?

I know they mount differently to the frame, but has anyone thought about or actually tried Scott tailwheel assemblies on RVs?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:48 AM

Default Tailwheel

I have a Scott 3200 on my L-19 and also have leaf springs so the mounting is different. However my friend has a Cessna 180 that has the (for the lack of a better term) "pipe" type spring like the RV. I am guessing you could adapt it somehow but you might pay a price on speed and looks. 3200 tailwheel assemblies are pretty expensive.

I believe somebody made a comment about not steering as well. I did not notice that at all. In fact with the different angle of the Bell fork, I think it steers better. I am one of those who keeps the chains somewhat loose.

If I encounter problems or issues I will let everybody know.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n38139 View Post
I installed my new Bell Tailwheel conversion and I installed a Matco Pneumatic tailwheel on also. A couple of photos are attached.
Where did you buy the Matco Pneumatic tire/wheel? I'm only seeing them with the whole fork and everything.