Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-25-2021, 12:36 PM

Default Position and strobe wiring

Iím the new owner of an RV-4

My first project is replacing the wing position lights with strobe with the uAvionix skybeacon and skysensor

I removed the starboard light just to take a look at the wiring.

The position light has a red and white wire attached and the strobe has a red, white, and black wire attached.

I understand that I will need to bypass the high voltage supply to the strobe to feed the strobe on the uAvionix light but I wasnít expecting to see three wires attached.

Iím assuming the red or white is a ground and the other is the 14v supply but wasnít sure what the black might be?
Old 09-25-2021, 01:21 PM

Typical Xenon flash tube strobes are powered by an external power supply that delivers the flash tube power.

The Red wire is the Anode, Black wire is Cathode, white (or clear) is the Trigger.

They are NOT 12V compatible.

See https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...13603.pdf?3693 for details on the power supply and light head.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the link and the info.

Much appreciated
Old 09-25-2021, 10:07 PM

Find out what legacy strobe system is on the aircraft. If the power pack for the strobe is not inside the wing tip area then there is probably one main power pack located somewhere else in the airframe that runs all sets of strobes. If you elect to keep the legacy strobe in the opposite wingtip not getting the uAvionix device then you need to keep that centralized strobe power pack in place to continue to fire the un-modified wing tip. Then you will disconnect the strobe cable from the power pack going to the wing tip to be retrofitted with the SkyBeacon. You can then re-purpose this cable to send the strobe power to the SkyBeacon wing tip by using one of the wires in the disconnected strobe cable. That chosen wire would get connected to the strobe switch power wire which supplies power to the original power pack from the panel switch. Basically you would be bypassing the power pack to send bus power to the SkyBeacon strobe power when the switch is turned on.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:13 AM

Thanks Jim

I actually have a Skybeacon and a Skysensor so will be replacing both wing tip position lights. As you suggested Iíll repurpose the existing wire and bypass the high voltage supply for the wings.

There also appears to be a strobe in the tail so Iíd like to replace that with a position light / strobe combo LED as well. I donít have a line on that yet so Iím assuming something like that is reasonably easy to find.

I appreciate the help
Old 09-26-2021, 08:33 AM

I can recommend this tail light unit. Iíve used it on two airplanes so far, and it has worked well.

https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Tail...700/category=0
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 09-26-2021, 04:40 PM

Perfect.

Thank you