-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-03-2021, 01:34 PM

Rob - take a look at the Glastar and Sportsman. Gear attach points cost zero extra weight as they form an integral part of the 4130 chromoly steel "cage".

In the case of our aircraft currently on trike gear, the taildragger sockets for the main gear house pop-out boarding steps - these are the slickest thing, especially for some of us who might have come from the factory as "short wheelbase models". :-)

BillL - my wife has significant mobility impairment. We were within a hair's breadth of pulling the trigger on an RV8A build prior to her loss of mobility. In hindsight, had we built an 8A we would have sold it because there simply is no way for her to get into that or any existing RV design.

The Sportsman changed that situation entirely. Both the external wing strut and the internal V-brace behind the windshield provide excellent hand-holds to assist in boarding. The pop-out steps mentioned above are a critical element in her ability to get into the airplane; she doesn't use the step when deplaning as she just rotates her backside in the seat so her legs hang out the door then uses the handholds (strut, V-brace) to lower herself to the ground. The large cabin of the Sportsman gives her enough space to maneuver while getting in and out. As much as I like the RV8A, I'm so glad we didn't build one as it would have been a real disappointment to have to sell it after one of life's curveballs came our way.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysrv10 View Post
I do see your point as we are buying parts and not a finished plane. So you donít think the plastic protection they already use can keep the pre-finished parts safe? Certainly, you and I will not make the decision. However, there are many finished products shipped safely every day.
the plastic protection "they" use is not for protection during assembly. it is put on by the sheet manufacture to protect the sheet from damage during machine work. IE automated shears, punches and brakes. to use that type of protection vans would have to do the machine work, remove the protective film, finish the sheet, an reinstall a protective film. way to much work and cost.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Old 08-04-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
Ahh.. one more addition I thought of..

An airplane that the builder/owner can go back and forth between nosewheel to tailwheel.
See https://youtu.be/Eb7XvAUJahM?t=283 for a review of the NXCub which has this feature.
As does the RANS S21 Outbound. Additionally, the S21 can be built as a LSA or higher GW E-AB. Quite an airplane, the bar has been set pretty high.

George
Old 08-04-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwaldal@gmail.com View Post
If I was Vans, the last thing I would do is pre paint parts and try to send them.
I can see all the customers complaining about a buff mark here or scratches there. What a nightmare it would be.
One time me and the family painted boards for our deck before nailing them on. Turns out, out can't even do THAT without it looking terrible. No way you can ship and rivet a skin without having to do 1000 touch-ups on it. I wouldn't even trust anodizing to withstand that let alone paint retaining a good finish.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
the plastic protection "they" use is not for protection during assembly. it is put on by the sheet manufacture to protect the sheet from damage during machine work. IE automated shears, punches and brakes. to use that type of protection vans would have to do the machine work, remove the protective film, finish the sheet, an reinstall a protective film. way to much work and cost.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
FYI, we do actually apply the blue protective film - here at the Van's factory - after we receive it from the supplier (it comes to us without any protective film) and before we start putting the sheets into the CNC punch presses to make airplane parts.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 08-08-2021, 07:35 AM

Default Fuel System

Since the RV-15 will be flown to remote locations which lack fuel, it would be nice if there was ample fuel capacity for the round trip. They say long range tanks are the best speed mod if you can avoid a landing to refuel.

I don't know if Cessna ever solved the uneven fuel feed between left and right tanks while in the "Both" fuel selector position. That would be awesome if Vans could pull that off.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:05 AM

Default RV15 Engine choice

After asking a few questions and listening to some interesting conversations at Oshkosh I got the clear feeling that Rotax is going to get a major new
customer for its 915iS engine around the first of 2022!

This 915iS engine is not cheap but has phenomenal performance. So we'll see how the RV15 comes together.
Member, FlyOnSpeed Team
Sling 4 TSI Tail Done, Fuselage next
2021 Dues Paid, Home Field 18FD
Old 08-08-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNSoCal View Post
Since the RV-15 will be flown to remote locations which lack fuel, it would be nice if there was ample fuel capacity for the round trip. They say long range tanks are the best speed mod if you can avoid a landing to refuel.

I don't know if Cessna ever solved the uneven fuel feed between left and right tanks while in the "Both" fuel selector position. That would be awesome if Vans could pull that off.
It's easy - I did it on my S-21. Just install an Andair L/R fuel selector valve and plumb the header tank accordingly. The S-21 has 49 gal of fuel, almost all of which is useable, so it has very long legs for round trips of probably 2.5 hrs EACH WAY at moderate power level (8 gph).
Old 08-08-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmicrowave View Post
After asking a few questions and listening to some interesting conversations at Oshkosh I got the clear feeling that Rotax is going to get a major new
customer for its 915iS engine around the first of 2022!

This 915iS engine is not cheap but has phenomenal performance. So we'll see how the RV15 comes together.
Sure sounds like you implying that the RV-15 will have a 915iS engine! From what I have heard lately the cost would not be that much different than a 180 hp Titan. Keeping the aircraft weight down would help lower the stall speed and turbocharging would be a plus for higher altitude flying. With an empty weight of 1000 lb or less performance would be good, especially with a light weight CS prop.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:54 PM

Default Sorry

Sorry. No rotax for me, lycoming or nothing. JMHO.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go
Electrical/Panel 95% done
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com