- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:02 PM

Default Fuel Tank Assembly

I'm starting work on the fuel tank assembly and the first steps are working with the Z brackets. The plans seem to be lagging the parts as all the holes are pre-punched/drilled which leads me to my question.

Is it necessary to bolt the z brackets to the spar, cleco the rear baffle to the Z brackets and attach the tank skin to check for alignment? With the accuracy of the pre-punched components this really doesn't seem necessary so I'm hoping others can validate my thoughts or provide the reason for the work.

I'm curious what others have done here before I start.
Wings - Closed & Complete
Fuselage - Crating
Old 05-05-2021, 06:05 PM

I think there are threads and google info called the ďDan Checkoway methodĒ even though he gives the credit to someone else.. I plan to follow what they did. Using the rear baffle as a guide to lining everything up.
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 05-05-2021, 07:36 PM

I created 4 templates that match the four corners of the wing tank skin and cleco the templates with the fuel-tank baffle to the spar flange. The template holes are matched drilled to the tank skin so the holes that line up with the skin and the baffles are all matched. This will keep the baffle in alignment as you drill the pass the baffle into the z-brackets.

But the pictures below should show how the templates are used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190126_150218_20px.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	11261  Click image for larger version

Name:	20190126_150224_20px.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	11262  
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 05-05-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
I think there are threads and google info called the ďDan Checkoway methodĒ even though he gives the credit to someone else.. I plan to follow what they did. Using the rear baffle as a guide to lining everything up.
What he ^ said. It works.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:04 PM

The pre drilled Z brackets are very new, so youíre probably one of the first to get to this point.

I have the same pre drilled brackets, my plan is to check for alinement as per the plans. Itís probably not necessary as you say, but itís a mornings work, and I would rather find out it wasnít necessary than discover it was further down the line.

Did you get the email from Jessica with the new plans?
Old 05-06-2021, 07:13 AM

Default Tanks

I fallowed the directions and watched the Vans video on the tanks , so many opportunities to make a mistake on the tanks , itís a critical step with the rear baffle alignment, if I did it again I would not use the vans method but fallow the many tips they provide . My tanks fit perfect but I had a few leaks to contend with that was puzzling with the amount of proseal I used . Good luck
Old 05-06-2021, 07:57 AM

Ok - sounds like there has been an update made to recent kits as Jonnyb has eluded to. The main difference being that the Z brackets are already final drilled for the bulkhead attach rivets, the plate nut holes are slightly undersized and the bolt holes final sizes. I will have to run a reamer through the wing spar to open the bolt holes up slightly. But all in all so far everything is lining up nicely.

@ Jonnyb - I have not received an E-mail with updated plans from Vans so Iíll make a phone call today!
Wings - Closed & Complete
Fuselage - Crating
Old 05-06-2021, 08:08 AM

Dare I say that pre-drilled Z brackets might have been a step backward for the kit. With the undrilled versions, the builder had the option to bias the bracket slightly (vice putting the holes on the flange centerlines) such that the rivet holes would be slightly closer the Z bracket web, and the bolt holes for the spar would be slightly further from the web. All still had appropriate edge distance but it provided plenty of clearance to put a socket on the head of the AN-3 bolts that holes the Z brackets to the spar.
SB Wings to QB stage
Fuselage in progress
Finish kit/Engine/Prop Ordered
Old 05-06-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girraf View Post
Dare I say that pre-drilled Z brackets might have been a step backward for the kit. With the undrilled versions, the builder had the option to bias the bracket slightly (vice putting the holes on the flange centerlines) such that the rivet holes would be slightly closer the Z bracket web, and the bolt holes for the spar would be slightly further from the web. All still had appropriate edge distance but it provided plenty of clearance to put a socket on the head of the AN-3 bolts that holes the Z brackets to the spar.
Correct me if Iím wrong, but donít the bolt heads go on the rear face spar side, into the z brackets? So there isnít any clearance problems with the socket because the bolts come from the spar side into the z, into nutplates? Whatís the purpose of offsetting the brackets?
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 05-06-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
Correct me if Iím wrong, but donít the bolt heads go on the rear face spar side, into the z brackets? So there isnít any clearance problems with the socket because the bolts come from the spar side into the z, into nutplates? Whatís the purpose of offsetting the brackets?
That's true. This is probably only significant then on the inboard most z bracket where the bolt head is adjacent to the Z bracket web.
SB Wings to QB stage
Fuselage in progress
Finish kit/Engine/Prop Ordered