What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Leg Fairing Filler

Bill Phillips

Well Known Member
Builder Friends, I'm working on the wheel pants and leg fairings on my RV8A in between wiring.. The plans call for an option of using window molding wood under the fiberglass to suppress shimmy and vibration. I saw a builder's log where a fellow builder in Holland used expanding foam from a spray can (insulation) inside the fairing. I called Van's and Joe recommended not to bother using anything unless it shimmys. Makes sense. Course, when I fly her I want her completed and painted so if I op to include anti-shimmy "stuff" which is the best ? Window wood or foam ? Best regards, Bill of Georgia

Bill,

There have been reports of the self expanding foam causing rust / corrosion because it can hold moisture against the steel / aluminum.

My -9 does not have any kind of stiffener on the gear legs nor does it need it. YMMV

Hi Bill
Listen to Van's on this one. My 8A has no wood on the gear legs and has not had any shimmy problems. Some do, some don't but if I ever need to add anything, it's easy to remove all the fairings and pants and lay on the wood,whether painted or not.

Also, it is recommended to make the first few flights without any gear fairings at all anyway. This way any trim or yaw problems can be addressed before adding a possibly misaligned fairing.

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Shimmy

Hi Bill
Sometimes on wheel shimmy don't forget to make sure your tires are balanced and second your Wheel Pants may need to be balanced
some #9 shot mixed with epoxy and placed in the nose of the wheel pant and balance like you would your elevator using the center of the axel as the balance point goodluck

Back