What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tip up frame help..??

miyu1975

Well Known Member
In trying to prep and drill the ribs and side skins and thinking of the ever impending canopy, I seem to have a possible misalignment and instructions and drawings aren't helping to much.. The sides of the F-631 channels extend past the roll bar...although this makes the 631 sides and WD 725 and skin flush to fuse..

P1010747.JPG

At the top of the rollbar and 631s they are flush to each other.

P1010748.JPG

In order to make the sides flush I had to extend both the 631 out a little..leaving a gap in the middle..

Thoughts...is the ok...is the canopy going to fit like this.?:confused:

P1010749.JPG

P1010750.JPG

P1010751.JPG

Not set up right!

The joggle in the sides nearest the top should align with the edge of the 631's. Close up the gap in the 631's at the top and align the outside edges of it with the roll bar assembly. Then set the wd725's where they are even with the side of the fuse with the skins clamped in place on them.
Make sense? Clear as mud I'm sure. I just did this, and don't have the pictures uploaded yet.
I am sure someone has a picture for you.

Don is correct, here is how the stackup should look....If you do not get that joggle in the side rails in the right plane, the glass will be under stress once you bolt it in and could cause a crack....

The sides of the ribs fall further inboard than where you have em. That is why you have that gap along the sides. The bow ribs are not flush with the fuse sides, the combo of the side rails and the skirt skins are...

20a5oqw.jpg

2eurehw.jpg

Last edited:
At some point the plans and instructions become more of a problem than a help.

I had to rework the center roll bar splice plate as well.

But you want a good fit along the sides, whatever you have to do.

Ryan,

The mis alignment from the canopy frame to roll bar at the lwr edges is a big problem. That needs to be perfectly flush all the way around. Take your time to get it perfect or you'll be really frustrated later.

Canopies are evil!

THX ALL FOR THE RESPONSES. I did some research last night too and now know what I need to do. Glad I didn't drill anything yet. Thanks again.

Ryan - having just finished this, I found it helpful to clamp on the side skirts, too. They should be flush with the fuse side (though some people like to have them overhang a little).

Hey Ryan,
I'm having the same exact issue and wondered how you solved it. If I make the rollbar and 631a flush the 725 is in too far and not flush with the skin. If I position it for the side skin the 631a is 3/16's out from the rollbar. I'm assuming I need to increase the bend on the top of the 725 to move it inward?
Thanks!
Greg
r1g7y1.jpg

Back