What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS Introduces new EFIS at Aero Friedrichshafen (4-24-2013)

Leader of the pack!

I just saw this on FB, Rob and shot an email to Tricia to see the price difference. Then log in here and there is my answer! Way to go! Keep up the good work. :D

NICE!

This is exactly the technology I was hoping would come out before I had to order my panel.

Are we going to have a demo to play with at Oshkosh??

Fat Fingers

I dunno - I fly my -8A out of Inyokern on the eastern side of the Sierra. About half the time it's way too bumpy to be doing touch screen stuff.

I'll stick with my push button AFS 4500.

I dunno - I fly my -8A out of Inyokern on the eastern side of the Sierra. About half the time it's way too bumpy to be doing touch screen stuff.

Well I have good news for you! The touch screen version will retain the knobs and buttons for standard operation. ;)

The AF-5000T systems still have all the buttons, so you can decide which to use.

I will bet you a beer(we are in Germany this week) that you will find
changing screens in turbulence far easier with the touch screen.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Awesome, Rob! Can't wait to play with these and talk with you again up at Oshkosh.

Can this also do drag-panning of the nav map? And already one addition to think about that I love in Avilution on my Android, though I'm not immediately sure how you'd do it - tap an airport on the nav map, and it would bring up the airport data overlays, just as if you'd typed in the airport ID.

Retrofit?

OK, I gotta ask, is it possible to retrofit a touch screen to an existing unit? Cost?

If not, then I might be asking if anyone wants to buy my non-touch-screen 5500 and 5600!

Awesome, Rob! Can't wait to play with these and talk with you again up at Oshkosh.

Can this also do drag-panning of the nav map? And already one addition to think about that I love in Avilution on my Android, though I'm not immediately sure how you'd do it - tap an airport on the nav map, and it would bring up the airport data overlays, just as if you'd typed in the airport ID.

Drag-Panning -> Yes it will

Airport Tap for info -> Of course it will, even the airport Radio Frequencies can be pushed to the radio with the tap of the screen.

We will have them in the booth at Oshkosh, there should also be a few in customer aircraft.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

We will have a Touch screen upgrade available for the existing units, we will have the price in the next few weeks.

Rob Hickman

I like technology but touchscreen EFIS is surely something I won't put in my airplane. Even with the Dynon Skyview buttons, I find that it is quite uncomfortable to play with them in bumpy day flights.
However great job ! ;)

Not a factor

I like technology but touchscreen EFIS is surely something I won't put in my airplane. Even with the Dynon Skyview buttons, I find that it is quite uncomfortable to play with them in bumpy day flights.
However great job ! ;)

I've heard this from many people however when you ask if they have ever flown a touch screen system, the answer is usually, no. This is a real internet myth.

I've had the opportunity to fly several touch screen aircraft and I can tell you it is no more difficult than using knobs. If the turbulence is so bad then one should be focused on flying and not changing something.

I was flying into the LA area one day with my current standard knob and button based stuff. LA Center asked me to change frequencies. I advised it was too turbulent and waited a couple of miles. It would not have matter what I was flying.

Touch screen is going to be the norm and once transitioned you'll find it was much ado about nothing.

5500's PLEASE, PLEASE

We will have a Touch screen upgrade available for the existing units, we will have the price in the next few weeks.

Rob Hickman

Please tell me this will include the 5500? After all this work......... I've been hoping a waiting for the possibility of touch screen 5500's to go with the G750. I'm not building anything else:D

I saw it with my own eyes at Friedrichshafen today. Very intuitive and cleverly done and to all those sceptics out there all I can say is don't knock it until you try it. It's been ingeniously engineered. Can't wait until you engineer a screen to fit into the AF4500 hole. Well done Rob and the AFS team!

I saw it!

I had the rare privilege of seeing this amazing product just before it's announcement. It's unbelievable, the work and the time Rob and his staff put into keeping their products top-notch.

I'm going to be installing an AF-5600 in my panel. I'm planning on posting some pictures and notes of my experiences, from the standpoint of a non-electrical-guru, newbie type of builder. I can't wait! :)

Just when I thought I had decided on what I wanted - another new option!! Maybe I will just go steam!

Touch screen is the way to go

I have been using iPhone and ipad in planes since the beginning, now I love GTN650, very intuitive to use, for me touch screen is the way to go:D

Touch screen is about the same as buttons IMHO. I've been using both for years in the different aircraft that I fly in LOTS of turbulence. The difference is in the way you approach the fine motor skill issue of pressing buttons/screens. In turbulence you need to anchor your hand by firmly pressing a couple of fingers or hand into the panel and then use your index finger to do the selection work.

I can't wait try out the new AFS product as it's probably the way I'll go next...:cool:

Back