What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring changes required to install Garmin

backcountry

Well Known Member
I have arrived at the point I need to order the avionics and must decide between Garmin and Dynon.

I understand that wiring modifications are required to install the Garmin system.

If you've installed the Garmin system I would be interested in you experience with the wiring changes.

Changes from what?

They are very different systems, and will require a completely different wiring setup.

-Dan

Not too difficult to make the change

Changes from what?

They are very different systems, and will require a completely different wiring setup.

-Dan

Sorry Dan, but even though the systems are quite different the wiring changes are not a big deal. It is not a completely different setup.

I built my 12 with the standard wiring harness that was supplied before the Garmin systems became available from Vans. I did most of the wiring using the kits and plans provided in early to mid 2014. I ordered the dual G3X system as soon as it became available in late 2014 / early 2015.

I had to add a few wires for the AP Servo's and re-route the some of the tail cone wires. It took less than 2 or 3 days to make the changes.

If you really want to see what it takes to make the change, order the Garmin install plans from Vans. They are only about $25. I ordered the plans as soon as the G3X system was announced.

BTW. I liked the G3X system so much I decided to replace everything in my 7A with a dual G3X system. I'm just finishing up the job and will be posting pictures soon. Now THAT was a big wiring change.

Last edited:
I have installed the Garmin system but not yet finished building. The changes are minimal. I have probably forgotten everything buy I thing I had to remove a pin in the plugs to the autopilot servos and there is a small extra harness than allows the ADHRS unit (GSU 25 I think) under the baggage floor.

The wiring changes are so minor I wouldn't let them determine the system you choose.

Alex

Back