What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

center console cables?

dromuald

I am installing an Aerosport center console in my -14 with the throttle quadrant embedded in the console. The same setup that the Flt Chops airplane is using. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to order cables for the prop, throttle and mixutre. I will be installing the EXP-119 engine. Any measurements or suggestions would be appreciated.

The flightchops cables were made by McFarlane, a VAF sponsor.
https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com

I spoke with them at Sun n Fun about the same thing. They said to talk to Kellie Bishop; Custom Products Technical Lead.

Please let us know what you find out. There are others going down the same route.

I recently spoke to Steve Thorne (of Flight Chops) about his -14 build that incorporated the Aerosport console. He was going to try and dig the measurements up but I have yet to hear from him as of 4/21/2022. On another note, Kelli from Mcfarlane Aviation provided me with numbers that were supposed to be from the Flightchops build. You can reach out to her but consider that your runs/throws, fuel servo configuration, and of course your engine variant will all need to be considered.
I also decided to go with the Aerosport console. BTW, it looks great! I have completed all the mods to support the console once I'm ready to complete the installation. I also had to create a custom throttle body bracket as did Flight Chops for the cables. Once I receive my engine, I can confirm runs/throws, etc.

Last edited:
I recently spoke to Steve Thorne (of Flight Chops) about his -14 build that incorporated the Aerosport console. He was going to try and dig the measurements up but I have yet to hear from him as of 4/21/2022. On another note, Kelli from Mcfarlane Aviation provided me with numbers that were supposed to be from the Flightchops build. You can reach out to her but consider that your runs/throws, fuel servo configuration, and of course your engine variant will all need to be considered.
I also decided to go with the Aerosport console. BTW, it looks great! I have completed all the mods to support the console once I'm ready to complete the installation. I also had to create a custom throttle body bracket as did Flight Chops for the cables. Once I receive my engine, I can confirm runs/throws, etc.

Sounds like you are ahead of me. Did you ascertain as to whether or not the original firewall penetrations for the cables were moved? Also any information you can share with respect to the TB bracket would be appreciated. Why would that need to be differnet from stock? Could you enlighten me on the mods required for the center console and did Aerosports offer and guidance. I have some information from Will Westfall at Aerosports on the McFarlane -14 cables, I am still trying to decipher. Unfortunately i don't know which engine they apply to or if that makes a difference.

thanks, dave
[email protected]

You can really gleen a lot of information from the Flightchops video #16 on the throttle body mods they performed. I kinda mimicked their TB bracket design for their Thunderbolt EXP119 install, but in a simpler way. Mine hasn't been validated yet as I am still waiting on my engine to be delivered so I can verify runs/throws (being built as we speak so delivery is soon!) Unsure as to how they installed Fuel servo. As far as I know the runs for the cables are utilizing the same feed throughs already provided in the firewall. No changes that I can identify. But again, I'm waiting to hear from Steve again. Cheers

Last edited:
You can really gleen a lot of information from the Flightchops video #16 on the throttle body mods they performed. I kinda mimicked their TB bracket design for their Thunderbolt EXP119 install, but in a simpler way. Mine hasn't been validated yet as I am still waiting on my engine to be delivered so I can verify runs/throws (being built as we speak so delivery is soon!) Unsure as to how they installed Fuel servo. As far as I know the runs for the cables are utilizing the same feed throughs already provided in the firewall. No changes that I can identify. But again, I'm waiting to hear from Steve again. Cheers

Hi Don,

I am wondering if you received your TB engine yet and have made any progress on the console or cable installation. I am finishing up my canopy and the next steps will be the engine and landing gear installation. I have the McFarlane cable prints for the Flt Chops cables but I am not sure the EXP engine will be the same.

Mcfarlane cables

These are the cables for the Aerosport throttle body. Mcfarlane.

Attachments

• 20180131_^s^McFaHane.pdf
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 194
These are the cables for the Aerosport throttle body. Mcfarlane.

Sorry for the dumb question but as I understand it the throttle quadrant is built by aerosport and the throttle body is by air flow performance on the thunderbolt engine. Are these the cables that work with this configuration?

thanks

Sorry for the dumb question but as I understand it the throttle quadrant is built by aerosport and the throttle body is by air flow performance on the thunderbolt engine. Are these the cables that work with this configuration?

thanks

Hi Dave,
Yes, sorry, I should edit my post to correct. These are the cables for the aerosport throttle quadrant that work with the 390 thunderbolt engine.

Aerosport install and bracket

Just a few pics of when I was installing the aerosport throttle quad.

Attachments

• FB64A233-7BE0-4598-9A23-CDFFBDFAE100.jpg
    FB64A233-7BE0-4598-9A23-CDFFBDFAE100.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 236
  • 789B87B6-72D5-490A-88B7-E5859219152D.jpg
    789B87B6-72D5-490A-88B7-E5859219152D.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 1218DB70-E07D-47C8-9EA6-A2C9B3D9E71D.jpg
    1218DB70-E07D-47C8-9EA6-A2C9B3D9E71D.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 249
Maintenance and Ergonomics aspects of Aerosport console

How is the Aerosport carbon fiber console attached? I can't see any flange around the base for screws to hold it in place. Do you anticipate having to remove it each annual, and will that be easy to do? I assume it comes off without disturbing the quadrant?

Also is that bracket (for securing the cables just forward of the quadrant) something you fabricated, or is it supplied by Aerosport?

I'm considering this setup since it looks really nice, but reluctant to add more stuff (prop/throttle/mixt cables) thru the tunnel area. Seems like it will make any maintenance tasks in there more difficult, especially if you use the plans-location for the fuel filter.

Would love to sit in a 14 with this setup to see how I like the ergonomics. With your hand on the quadrant, it appears your forearm would be taking up the whole armrest which means the passenger can't use it. Anybody (besides Flight Chops) flying with this setup yet?

No flange, the attachment screws are inside the box, I made a carbon fiber base for the console. It is pretty simple to remove, only 6 screws holding in place, and it is removed without removing the quadrant. Very solid the way I have it attached.
The bracket is something I designed and milled. I will attach the CAD drawing.

My fuel filters are in the wing.

Attachments

• AEROSPORT BRACKET2.pdf
    311.5 KB · Views: 230
I am installing an Aerosport center console in my -14 with the throttle quadrant embedded in the console. The same setup that the Flt Chops airplane is using. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to order cables for the prop, throttle and mixutre. I will be installing the EXP-119 engine. Any measurements or suggestions would be appreciated.

California Push Pull has the best prices. They sell Cablecraft cables, which is the same brand the Vans provides. You also can get an upgraded sheath that has a higher heat resistance rating.

Just don’t ask them any aircraft questions. They might tell you that they don’t sell aircraft cables. Grab a Cablecraft catalog and determine the part number you need, they also have some spec sheets on their website. Call and give them The part numbers you need.

I ordered my original cables from them twelve years and and my new set this year for my panel upgrade. The guy that answered the phone asked me if I was building a second RV-10, since I was still in ther customer database.

No flange, the attachment screws are inside the box, I made a carbon fiber base for the console. It is pretty simple to remove, only 6 screws holding in place, and it is removed without removing the quadrant. Very solid the way I have it attached.

So is the console designed to be secured with attachment screws inside the box? Or why did you need to make a carbon fiber base for it? Wondering if the console comes from Aerosport ‘ready to install’ with instructions on where to drill the screw holes, or is it up to each builder to design and fabricate a means of mounting it?

I see you’ve also got a metal ring around the friction adjustment, is that custom fabricated as well? That isn’t shown on Aerosport’s website, their pics show a round recessed area in the carbon fiber where the friction adjustment is located. If you simply drilled a hole through the carbon fiber for the quadrant pivot bolt, you’d have to unscrew and remove the friction adjustment knob to remove the console. Did you make a slot around the metal ring to allow easy removal of the console?

So is the console designed to be secured with attachment screws inside the box? Or why did you need to make a carbon fiber base for it? Wondering if the console comes from Aerosport ‘ready to install’ with instructions on where to drill the screw holes, or is it up to each builder to design and fabricate a means of mounting it?

I see you’ve also got a metal ring around the friction adjustment, is that custom fabricated as well? That isn’t shown on Aerosport’s website, their pics show a round recessed area in the carbon fiber where the friction adjustment is located. If you simply drilled a hole through the carbon fiber for the quadrant pivot bolt, you’d have to unscrew and remove the friction adjustment knob to remove the console. Did you make a slot around the metal ring to allow easy removal of the console?

Yes, it is up to the builder to design some sort of attachment for the console. It is 3 walled, as supplied, with no base. The base is necessary for the attachment and to provide structural integrity.

The aluminum ring is custom. As supplied, the friction adjustment knob doesn't fit in the recessed area. I slightly enlarged the access hole and placed the aluminum flange/ring. I made a brass friction grip knob to be used in place of the one supplied with the quadrant. The knob does have to be removed to take the console off.

Attachments

• IMG-5887 (1).jpg
    IMG-5887 (1).jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 173

I riveted some angle to the floor panel and then drilled and tapped holes for #6 screws to attach mine.

Attachments

• 70254191-18CC-4BF0-B00F-341640622291.jpg
    70254191-18CC-4BF0-B00F-341640622291.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 210
  • E72E492B-CCB9-494B-944F-65A276BA6654.jpg
    E72E492B-CCB9-494B-944F-65A276BA6654.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 209
  • A8A31583-0AE1-437C-AA6C-5605FD6371F2.jpg
    A8A31583-0AE1-437C-AA6C-5605FD6371F2.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 180
Cable Lengths are Correct

Hi Mark, are this cables good for the EXP119 engine?

Yes, they are for the EXP119 engine. I did redesign the mount I'm using, and I've attached the pdf files in case you are interested. I can also send you the dxf, which can then be uploaded to your favorite metal bender....I like sendcutsend. You can get both parts cut, bent and anodized for around $30 total.

Attachments

• Throttle Quad Mount Drawing v1.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Throttle Quad Mount Drawing2 v1.pdf
    125.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Throttle Quad Mount v9.jpg
    Throttle Quad Mount v9.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Thanks very much Mark, can’t find your link for the cables anymore. There’s no product like RV14A cables at McFarlane?

Your installation looks good. It's very similar to mine. I also made a custom bracket for a cable guide. I used the standard VANS CT Q cables at different lengths, and they work perfectly! I posted a picture of the installed quadrant on FB Vans Aircraft Builders if you care to look.

Don

Last edited:
Can someone please post the link to Flightchops showing their installation also? I am having trouble finding #16…

Can someone please post the link to Flightchops showing their installation also? I am having trouble finding #16…
Just a heads up on cable lengths. If ordering the same lengths as Flight Chops , you need to pass them with the same routing, ie thru the firewall at the same location. I’m working on one now and the builder made new pass throughs lower on the firewall making the cables a bit long.

It’s not labeled 16. It is after 15 and is labeled Finished. I was not able to see where the cables go through the firewall. I’m going to see how things work out. I will probably put a new passthru I. The firewall in line with the tunnel. The other post says the flightchops cables will be long. I’ll stay tuned to see what others before me do.

Cable Lengths are Correct

Yes, they are for the EXP119 engine. I did redesign the mount I'm using, and I've attached the pdf files in case you are interested. I can also send you the dxf, which can then be uploaded to your favorite metal bender....I like sendcutsend. You can get both parts cut, bent and anodized for around $30 total.
Mark, please send your dxf file for the console cable mount to: https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApjXijG9_otohNVx0wiJ7N49h6S6iw?e=Sth5Ea
Thank you,
Paul

I have done my installation with the same measurements as Flight Chops cables and there is not enough travel on the mixture and prop cables to run the full coarse of the levers. The solution I am thinking is to drill new holes in the levers to lower the position of the cables and thus reduce the required travel of the cable. But I am waiting for the engine to make sure of how much travel I will actually need. Did anyone face the same problem?

Thanks

yes, the McFarland cable didn’t have the described travel when the fork and locknut was on . Without the locknut it had the travel. To achieve the ordered travel the threads have to go inside the sheath , no help . We sent one back but still didn’t have the described travel. I managed to play with all the adjustments and got full travel from stop to stop with what I was sent.Nothing left to get any more.

Regarding full travel, possibly the arm(s) on the controlled side need to be replaced. Tim O., an original -14 and -10 builder used the RV-10 quad on his -14 and replaced the arm on his prop governor. The cable length is one factor, the compatible arm lengths are another. This is just a guess.

Mark,
Any idea if your 3 cable hole bracket will work with a 2 lever/cable quadrant? I am using SDS, so no mixture lever. I’m thinking the quadrant is narrower, therefore changing the alignment of the cable to the bracket you’ve designed. I’ll be working on my plane next week and can get some measurements on the 2 lever quadrant, just wanted to see if you had an idea already. Also, if changes need to be made for a 2 lever/cable bracket, would you be willing to modify your design file and share? I’m willing to pay for your efforts. I’d like to send the file to sendcutsend and get the part milled. Thank you!
Josh

Mark,
Any idea if your 3 cable hole bracket will work with a 2 lever/cable quadrant? I am using SDS, so no mixture lever. I’m thinking the quadrant is narrower, therefore changing the alignment of the cable to the bracket you’ve designed. I’ll be working on my plane next week and can get some measurements on the 2 lever quadrant, just wanted to see if you had an idea already. Also, if changes need to be made for a 2 lever/cable bracket, would you be willing to modify your design file and share? I’m willing to pay for your efforts. I’d like to send the file to sendcutsend and get the part milled. Thank you!
Josh
Josh,

I will be going the same way as you , but with EFII. As the throttle bodies are different then the "stock" EXP119 (Airflow Design), I would expect the cable lengths will be custom. Assuming you are of the same thought, then you are just looking to use the bracket that Mark has designed, but for just the two controls? Are you planning to mockup the cables to get the proper length?

Josh,

I will be going the same way as you , but with EFII. As the throttle bodies are different then the "stock" EXP119 (Airflow Design), I would expect the cable lengths will be custom. Assuming you are of the same thought, then you are just looking to use the bracket that Mark has designed, but for just the two controls? Are you planning to mockup the cables to get the proper length?
Correct, I will just be looking to use the bracket that Mark has designed as cable guides/mounts, but for just the two control cables. I do plan to mock up the cables to get custom lengths once I get my engine delivered/installed.

Back