What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B performance failure after latest G3X Touch updates?

Draker

Well Known Member
Has anyone pulled an ADS-B performance report since applying the latest Garmin software updates? I just did mine and found that flights done after I updated to 9.12 and later show “SIL” and “SDA” as 100% failures, where before I updated the software, these values were fine (0.19% fail). Did anyone find they had to make any configuration changes for ADS-B out after applying the update(s)?

Relevant hw: GDU460, GTX 45R, GPS 20A

I found only one thread from several years ago describing identical symptoms but the transponder hardware was different. So I doubt it’s the same thing.

Transponder Position Integrity

Yes, I had it happen to my G3X system. It's my understanding the "Transponder Position Integrity" was automatically changed in to "VFR" during the v9.10 update. I didn't notice the problem with my system until sometime last December after the v9.12 update. Garmin said this was fixed in v9.14

Go to the setup menu, select TRANSPONDER, and look for the POSITION INTEGRITY setting and set it to 1E-7. This is assuming you have a WAAS GPS or a GPS 20A providing ADS-B Out+.

GPS Integrity Setting

Has anyone pulled an ADS-B performance report since applying the latest Garmin software updates? I just did mine and found that flights done after I updated to 9.12 and later show “SIL” and “SDA” as 100% failures, where before I updated the software, these values were fine (0.19% fail). Did anyone find they had to make any configuration changes for ADS-B out after applying the update(s)?

Relevant hw: GDU460, GTX 45R, GPS 20A

I found only one thread from several years ago describing identical symptoms but the transponder hardware was different. So I doubt it’s the same thing.

Hi Ryan,

The above responses all describe the problem accurately. You can either update your GDU 460 to v9.14, or manually configure the GPS Integrity value, and you will be all set.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks. I don't know how I missed those past threads. My Google searching and VAF searching skills failed me.

One thing to note (mostly for Garmin, to help debug): The threads mention simply updating to 9.14 solves the problem. However my G3X is already updated to 9.14, and still could reproduce the problem. I have just gone into configuration mode and changed my setting from "VFR GPS" to "IFR GPS 1e-7". I'll check next flight whether this resolves it.

Thanks, and sorry for Yet Another Thread on this.

The threads mention simply updating to 9.14 solves the problem. However my G3X is already updated to 9.14, and still could reproduce the problem.

I had the same experience. Updated to 9.14 then ATC informed me that I was flying in airspace that requires ADS-B out and my aircraft was not providing this information.

The update to 9.12 had been done then bad weather came through and I hadn't flown while others were reporting the ADS-B issue. 9.14 was available before I could fly again, I updated from 9.12 to 9.14 leapfrogging 9.13 and I still had the issue until going in to configuration to change the setting for the Position Integrity field despite being on 9.14.

It's an easy fix, though, just one new field.

Thanks. I don't know how I missed those past threads. My Google searching and VAF searching skills failed me.

One thing to note (mostly for Garmin, to help debug): The threads mention simply updating to 9.14 solves the problem. However my G3X is already updated to 9.14, and still could reproduce the problem. I have just gone into configuration mode and changed my setting from "VFR GPS" to "IFR GPS 1e-7". I'll check next flight whether this resolves it.

Thanks, and sorry for Yet Another Thread on this.

Discovered the exact same issue yesterday. I reset to the "IFR GPS 1e-7" on the system configuration page. Clean PAPR after a short hop today.

I Updated the software directly from 9.12-9.14, and it seems it kicked back the default to VFR GPS.

VAF is absolutely invaluable!

Interesting thread. I had no idea that this could have been caused by a software update. I discovered my setting was wrong during the ADS-B METAR outage a couple of weeks ago. Thought it might be due to ADS-B out issue so pulled a FAA report for that reason. When I had 2 "fails" come back (SIL & SDA) G3Xpert solved it quickly. This was after a long cross country (5 states, often in IFR) flight in which ATC never said a word about my ADS-B integrity.

Glad to know the cause of how this setting got changed without me knowing it.

Back