What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Priming

burtw

Sponsor
Just took my first shot at priming some vertical stab parts with P60G2. First thought was the primer takes forever to mix to get the dark swirls out, which i'm not 100 percent sure I did ever after 10 minutes of stirring. Lots of advice here saying to spray until you just notice a color change which I did. Still seems a bit light, but maybe it will darken up by tomorrow. Or this is the way it's supposed to look.

Attachments

• C8601A4B-CB1A-4F1E-9445-F718340787CA.jpg
    C8601A4B-CB1A-4F1E-9445-F718340787CA.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 275
  • 1117AD5E-3B84-4FDF-ACC5-550BBA7A1062.jpg
    1117AD5E-3B84-4FDF-ACC5-550BBA7A1062.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 305
P60G2

The one on the right is perfect. Nice uniform light green.
I don't think you can mix enough to make those swirls mix. I've tried. It doesn't seem to effect the paint. A couple minutes making sure to get the thick stuff off the bottom is adequate. Nice job.

wait a week

in my experience, if you wait a week the primer gets much darker, if it is too thick it could flake off; never happened to me, but that's what i hear. For small parts, I mix up 1 spoon primer and 2 spoons catalyst and use a paper towel to apply it.

as far as mixing, I took my can to the hardware store and had them shake the poop out of it. I think it is important to get the solids resting in the bottom mixed in.

By the way, your primer looks great.

Last edited:
Is that considered enough primer? Looks to me like a lot of bare metal is showing through. Maybe I've been overpriming.

Depends on the type of primer. Wash primers like this have very little pigment. The stuff that Van's puts on the QB kits is clear and the parts look like they are not primed

Those look great.
If you look at the instructions, thickness is just a few mils thick.

Depends on the type of primer. Wash primers like this have very little pigment. The stuff that Van's puts on the QB kits is clear and the parts look like they are not primed

Ah that makes sense. I’m used to EkoPrime, which fully covers the metal even when sprayed thin.

Just took my first shot at priming some vertical stab parts with P60G2. First thought was the primer takes forever to mix to get the dark swirls out, which i'm not 100 percent sure I did ever after 10 minutes of stirring. Lots of advice here saying to spray until you just notice a color change which I did. Still seems a bit light, but maybe it will darken up by tomorrow. Or this is the way it's supposed to look.

No! The thickness of the layer has to be around 1 mil.
Spraying until is color change is a thickness around 0.2 mil
That is not enough absolutely. Akzo recommends a thiclness of 1 mil

You need to buy a coating thickness gauge. Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YVPCDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you look at the ribs in the light and the sheen is gone from the bare aluminum, you have enough on. If you put it on too thick, it can peel with bad results.
If you want to post a Pic of a bare rib and your primed rib together, others might better evaluate from that, but it sure looks like you did a good job to me.

Back